Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cannot install into VS2013 via automatic or manual methods
TheRubble
#1 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2014 7:13:19 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I'm trying to install nCrunch, the automatic installer claims I don't have VS2013 installed. So I tried the manual method.

The plugin fails during startup and after looking at the activity log I see the following :

CreateInstance failed for package [nCrunch.VSIntegration2010.CrunchPackage, nCrunch.VSIntegration2013, Version=2.10.0.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=01d101bf6f3e0aea]

I'm using the latest version NCrunch v2.10 (Released 18 Sep 2014).

Any ideas?
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 9:34:30 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi!

Sorry for the late response on this. For some reason this message fell through my net.

Are you still experiencing this problem? A common reason for this error is if after performing a manual install, the O/S 'blocks' the installed files from loading because they are DLLs that "May harm your computer" after being extracted from ZIP file. To resolve this, you'll need to select the installed files using windows explorer, go to properties, then choose to Unblock the files.
TheRubble
#3 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 9:39:11 AM(UTC)

No worries, I ended up reinstalling the machine. It needed a good cleaning down so all up and running now.
1 user thanked TheRubble for this useful post.
Remco on 12/19/2014(UTC)
DrWatson
#4 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 9:22:47 AM(UTC)

I have the same problem:
- the automatic installer claims I don't have VS2013 installed. So I tried the manual method.
- CreateInstance failed for package [nCrunch.VSIntegration2010.CrunchPackage, nCrunch.VSIntegration2013, Version=2.10.0.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=01d101bf6f3e0aea]

I tried unblocking the files, deleting all files and running devenv.exe /setup

But no luck, do you have any more ideas? Why does the installer claim that I do not have VS2013 installed? What preinstall checks are run?

This is the text from ActivityLog.xml:
<entry>
<record>56</record>
<time>2015/01/12 09:16:27.014</time>
<type>Error</type>
<source>VisualStudio</source>
<description>End package load [nCrunch.VSIntegration2010.CrunchPackage, nCrunch.VSIntegration2013, Version=2.11.0.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=01d101bf6f3e0aea]</description>
<guid>{14D2CAB3-EE7F-496E-BF5D-C67D2CBDD84D}</guid>
<hr>80004005 - E_FAIL</hr>
<errorinfo>Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2013\nCrunch.VSIntegration2013.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)</errorinfo>
</entry>

Remco
#5 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 9:36:37 AM(UTC)

Hi,

The installer does a simple registry check to see whether VS is installed, at the same time identifying its install path. It does so by reading the value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\InstallDir (or its WOW64 equivalent).

To date I have not yet been able to reproduce the install problem in a development environment. Because the code involved is very straightforward and normal in an MSI, my belief is that this is being caused somehow by restricted access on the machine - perhaps 3rd party software blocking access to the registry or something similar.

It does look as though there is something interfering with your machine's ability to load the manually extracted DLLs from their install path. I recommend checking very thoroughly whether you've unblocked all of the files that were extracted (this is a crazy feature of Windows and it's very easy to miss a file). There is a useful post on stack overflow about a very similar sounding problem that may be worth a look - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8524423/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-hresult-0x80131515-when-adding-controller-to-m. If you have any virus scanners or 3rd party security related software running, it may also be worth trying to deactivate this to see if it may be interfering with .NET or the MSI installer.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
DrWatson on 1/12/2015(UTC)
DrWatson
#7 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 9:51:14 AM(UTC)

I tried the <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" /> from the StackOverflow post and it now seems to work as expected.

I did run a PowerShell command to unblock all files in the directory before:
gci . | Unblock-File
But something must still have been blocked somehow.

Thanks for your help.
1 user thanked DrWatson for this useful post.
Remco on 1/12/2015(UTC)
tyk007
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:24:22 AM(UTC)

Remco;6739 wrote:
Hi,

The installer does a simple registry check to see whether VS is installed, at the same time identifying its install path. It does so by reading the value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\InstallDir (or its WOW64 equivalent).

To date I have not yet been able to reproduce the install problem in a development environment. Because the code involved is very straightforward and normal in an MSI, my belief is that this is being caused somehow by restricted access on the machine - perhaps 3rd party software blocking access to the registry or something similar.

It does look as though there is something interfering with your machine's ability to load the manually extracted DLLs from their install path. I recommend checking very thoroughly whether you've unblocked all of the files that were extracted (this is a crazy feature of Windows and it's very easy to miss a file). There is a useful post on stack overflow about a very similar sounding problem that may be worth a look - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8524423/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-hresult-0x80131515-when-adding-controller-to-m. If you have any virus scanners or 3rd party security related software running, it may also be worth trying to deactivate this to see if it may be interfering with .NET or the MSI installer.

Hi there,

I am trialling NCrunch at the moment but am having the exact same issue. Both automatic and manual methods fail. The registry entry exists and is valid, so I am uncertain what the issue is. Unfortunately the method above does not appear to help. Any ideas?
Remco
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:42:56 AM(UTC)

Hi, thanks for posting!

Can you describe the exact symptom you're experiencing? If unblocking the files and setting the loadFromRemoteSources didn't work for you, can you show the text VS places into ActivityLog.xml?
tyk007
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:33:29 PM(UTC)

Remco;6773 wrote:
Hi, thanks for posting!

Can you describe the exact symptom you're experiencing? If unblocking the files and setting the loadFromRemoteSources didn't work for you, can you show the text VS places into ActivityLog.xml?

HI there. Looks like a re-install of Visual Studio seemed to allow me to do the manual installation (automatic installation still fails). But this gets me going, thanks! I look forward to being unable to live without NCrunch.
1 user thanked tyk007 for this useful post.
Remco on 1/14/2015(UTC)
jeckyl
#10 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 8:54:55 AM(UTC)

Hi.

I had the same problems installing the latest versions of NCrunch (not able to find my VS installtions) on both Visual Studio 2010 and 2013. This was on a Windows 8.1 box.

I the ran the downloaded NCrunch MSI file as explicit "Administrator" - and it installed like a charm.
1 user thanked jeckyl for this useful post.
Remco on 2/16/2015(UTC)