Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch can't find Record.ExceptionAsync with latest version of xUnit
bgeihsgt
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:07:43 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Repro:

Create an xUnit test with Record.ExceptionAsync against the latest build of xUnit (build 2857).

Result:

This test will always fail in NCrunch because it can't find Record.ExceptionAsync in xunit.core. After some investigation, the Record class was moved in to core 5 days ago via this commit:

https://github.com/xunit...6cadd2dee8a009fa471d016

I noticed that NCrunch is using build 2700 at the moment.

While you are investigating, is there a way I can override which version of xUnit NCrunch uses?

Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:22:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this.

NCrunch is integrated with the version of xUnit packaged with the NCrunch binaries. Because of the design of xUnit and NCrunch's integration with it, this integration cannot be redirected arbitrarily to a different version of xUnit.

This presents some problems when dealing with development builds and frequent releases of xUnit V2, because proper support for changes such as this one would require a full new build of NCrunch to work with the new version of xUnit. It also means that such a new build of NCrunch also wouldn't be backwards compatible with older versions of xUnit V2.

If using xUnit in pre-release state is important in your project, all I can recommend at this point in time is that you use the version of xUnit that is aligned/compatible with the version of NCrunch you are working with. NCrunch's integration with xUnit is updated regularly for the major milestone releases.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
bgeihsgt on 2/17/2015(UTC)
bgeihsgt
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:30:43 AM(UTC)

Thanks Remco. Running against the bleeding edge of xUnit is important to our team because Brad Wilson is on our team :P I guess I'll just wait until the next build of NCrunch comes with a stable release of xUnit. Should I say anything to Brad relating to this (i.e. should I tell him not to move the code to a different assembly because it breaks your integration?)
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:37:45 AM(UTC)

bgeihsgt;6989 wrote:
Thanks Remco. Running against the bleeding edge of xUnit is important to our team because Brad Wilson is on our team :P I guess I'll just wait until the next build of NCrunch comes with a stable release of xUnit. Should I say anything to Brad relating to this (i.e. should I tell him not to move the code to a different assembly because it breaks your integration?)

That is the single best excuse for bleeding edge adoption I've heard .. well.. ever :)

I'm happy with discuss options with Brad if he feels a little cornered by this. I think he was talking earlier about RC2 of xUnit V2 being ready soon, so this would be a good milestone to realign NCrunch with. As soon as RC2 is locked off, I should be able to get your team an early build without needing a full NCrunch release behind it. My big fear right now is that if I integrate with a new dev build of xUnit, it will break the integration for users running older versions... If we can avoid this, then I think the change can be accommodated.
bgeihsgt
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:48:24 PM(UTC)

Thanks Remco -- The RC2 is available here. An early build of NCrunch would be awesome, thanks!

http://xunit.github.io/r...se-notes/2015-02-17.html
Remco
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:17:18 AM(UTC)

bgeihsgt
#7 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 12:07:25 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the private build, Remco. Really appreciate it. Since installing the private build, we've been noticing that NCrunch will spin indefinitely without doing any work. We're doing xUnit in Static analysis mode. I've tried to switch to dynamic but that ends up with its own problems. Anything I can send you to help investigate?
Remco
#8 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 2:12:43 AM(UTC)

bgeihsgt;7001 wrote:
Thanks for the private build, Remco. Really appreciate it. Since installing the private build, we've been noticing that NCrunch will spin indefinitely without doing any work. We're doing xUnit in Static analysis mode. I've tried to switch to dynamic but that ends up with its own problems. Anything I can send you to help investigate?

I strongly recommend using DynamicAnalysis as with the range of detailed features you guys are using, this will give you the best support.

Can you share any sample code that can make these problems appear? You're welcome to submit code via the contact form.