Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Move PreviouslyBuiltSuccessfully from local.xml
glenno
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:57:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

In a project that I'm currently working on I need to include some additional files using the AdditionalFilesToInclude tag in the local.xml config file for multiple projects. As a result I want to add these settings files to my source control, however there is a tag PreviouslyBuiltSuccessfully that is forcing me to commit changes to these files when I need to commit projects failing to build. I don't think this tag should be part of the config for a project and I don't want every person on the team to have to manually update the config for each of the projects that require the additional files for NCrunch to compile them.

Can you please move the PreviouslyBuiltSuccessfully into a separate local/cache file so I can commit the config files to source control?

Thanks,
Glenn
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:42:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for posting! Your change suggestion makes sense and I'll look into ways in which I can do this, though I'm curious about the issue you're experiencing with this tag and I'm wondering if you can tell me a bit more about your working situation. It doesn't seem normal to me that you should need to commit projects with a failing build into source control.

The PreviouslyBuiltSuccessfully setting is used to control a message that is shown to help people fix builds that have never passed before. Is it possible that these builds would pass on your teammate's machines but not on your own? In theory, once the property has been set once it should never change again.

Cheers,

Remco
glenno
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:03:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I agree that the intention should never be to check in failing builds, however we are in the process of undertaking a very large rename / update exercise for an application and we need to check in some failing projects as part of this.

Are you saying that the PreviouslyBuiltSuccessfully starts out as false and then is only ever once set to true and never changed after that? If this is the case, it may have been that I had checked in an empty project before building and then after the first build it updated the flag...

Thanks,
Glenn
Remco
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:40:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Glenn,

Yes - that is correct. As soon as a project is successfully built, it will set the flag to 'true' and then it will never be changed again - so if I understand your circumstances correctly, this shouldn't mean you need to keep checking the file in multiple times.

Cheers,

Remco