Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Enhancement: Partial Success
Max
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:23:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi Remco,

An enhancement that we thought might be quite useful is an extra coloured icon for 'partial' successful tests.

The idea is that if a line of code (say, half of our base objects) is covered by any successfully running tests, but also has a/some failing test(s), you would see an icon to represent that state. We are of three minds whether these tests should be considered a pass or a fail, so this third state could mean those of us who wish to see it as a pass could set the colour to the pass colour, those who consider it a fail can show it as a fail, and those who think seeing a difference could display it as thus.

Maybe it would be good to just have an option to show partially covered lines as either success or failures. At the moment I see a lot of red dots where I would consider them to be passes, just because one test is failing.

Just something to consider. Thanks!
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:57:13 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Max,

Thanks for the feedback! 1.37b will be adding a new major feature that will make the markers more complex in such a way as to show other information, so I may keep your suggestion in a back pocket until everyone has had a chance to digest the 1.37b change and discuss it. The difficulty with the markers is always that some of them are very small and it can be hard to 'encode' such a wealth of information into them without confusing people. I think that the most likely long term solution would be to make the various dimensions of the marker configurable so that people can choose which pieces of information they want to have shown using certain elements of the marker.

After 1.37b is launched, I'll put a vote up here on the forum so that people can choose the marker adjustments that they see of most value to them. I can then use this information to prioritise the work involved and also to set the default settings for each marker.

Cheers,

Remco