Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Taxes not very clear
kstafford
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:45:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I just went to purchase NCrunch. Upon reviewing my paypal sybmission, I see that taxes have been added to the cost.
Upon searching your domain for the work 'tax'. I found this page - https://www.ncrunch.net/legal/eula which mentions taxes at the bottom.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more up front with people eh?. On your pricing page, perhaps you could put the phrase (prices exclude tax, see terms and conditions) or something. I have no idea why I have to pay taxes as a single personal user either way.

Purchase on hold while I have a think about it. Price including taxes is no longer affordable for me.

Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:17:08 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
kstafford;8682 wrote:
I just went to purchase NCrunch. Upon reviewing my paypal sybmission, I see that taxes have been added to the cost.
Upon searching your domain for the work 'tax'. I found this page - https://www.ncrunch.net/legal/eula which mentions taxes at the bottom.

Sorry, because the taxation is handled by the reseller (Fastspring), it's impossible to know what it will be without first referring you into their sales system. VAT and other sales taxes are always dependent upon your location, which is never 100% known when you're browsing the pricing page. For this reason, vendors usually quote prices without tax when selling software online.

The tax itself is levied by your local government. The EU has laws stating that anyone purchasing within its borders must pay VAT, regardless of whether they are purchasing from a supplier outside the EU. This creates a rather horrendous scenario where even the smallest business outside the EU must still file a tax return into the EU if they ever sell to one of its citizens. These laws are also becoming popular in other states. VAT is the main reason why smaller vendors usually need to sell products via intermediary, so that the transactions can be handled cleanly and legally.

kstafford;8682 wrote:

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more up front with people eh?. On your pricing page, perhaps you could put the phrase (prices exclude tax, see terms and conditions) or something. I have no idea why I have to pay taxes as a single personal user either way.

This is a good suggestion. I'll make a note to update the pricing page with this. I'm sorry for any inconvenience it's caused you.