Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Larger font for Risk bar
MikeWard
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:09:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I run the Risk/Progress bar in the corner of my IDE crunched (pun!) down to one line. The font is a bit small at this level. Also, if the title bar could be removed it would help.

Here's a screenshot of how I run it:

http://sharesend.com/qyd3u
1 user thanked MikeWard for this useful post.
rlarno on 2/7/2012(UTC)
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:46:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
The font size of the progress bar automatically adjusts itself to fill the largest space you're able to give it - so I'm not sure if I could make it any bigger without redesigning the entire gadget ... although, there is some work I'm expecting to release soon that will involve a more compact version bolted onto the VS status bar. The risk/progress bar itself was a bit of a failed experiment, but the nice thing about experiments is that you learn from them :)
rlarno
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:46:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks for the screenshot, actually got me thinking to setup my layout differently. see https://twitter.com/#!/rlarno/status/166867731516358656/photo/1

On that note, the NCrunch Tests windows could use some more UI Love, I personally find it a bit cluttered. The list and 'details' panes seem to be constantly fighting over screen estate. I have not yet found a comfortable layout for that window.
I actually liked the CountinuousTests.com status window better for that, also the easy of use of the keyboard shortcuts. Because of UI lag, I'm currently no longer using it, though.
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:43:03 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the feedback - I'll take a look at it :)
rlarno
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:35:54 PM(UTC)

Perhaps, getting rid of some of the '3D' bevels and borders can help in making it cleaner.

Before

I did a quick Mock up, just removing the borders:
After

And in Visual Studio (using a ListView instead of the DevExpress Tree)
VS Mockup

Download VS Mockup
Remco
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:38:10 PM(UTC)

Good thinking - removing those bevels makes an amazing difference... I'll see what I can do here.

Sadly replacing the express tree with a ListView isn't an option. The express tree has a huge range of features that really are necessary to be able to display the tests in a meaningful way. Something that many people aren't aware of is that I actually went through several iterations of the Tests Window before ending up with this layout (this is iteration number 4). I tried a number of different controls (including the listview) and found them all to be either too slow or missing in features that were critical to the layout of the window.

I'm wondering if you might be able to share any details about the sort of information you're using the Tests Window to keep track of while you're coding. It's apparent to me that you're using the window as a way to keep tabs on the status of the NCrunch engine, and there is a feature I have in progress for 1.38b that sits in this general area ... aside from the obvious (knowing when you have a failing test), what are the main pieces of information you are seeking from the Tests Window while you work?
rlarno
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:42:56 PM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

I did not mean you to replace the Treeview with the ListView, I'm aware there are lots of features you'd need. It was just to make the mockup, as I do not have the DevExpress controlst. I used it only as a 'visual placeholder'.

Interesting question... why do I use that window.
I have not really noticed myself. The first thing that comes to mind is to see a list of the failed tests, and to be able to quickly navigate to them (double-click).

I'll think about it and will try to observe myself actively when using the window.
Remco
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:27:28 PM(UTC)

Oh, sorry.. I misunderstood :)

Let me know if you have any more thoughts in this area. I'm keen to find ways of letting people work without needing to keep the Tests Window open, as not everyone has the screen space to do this.
jeremygray
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:23:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
For what it is worth, I love being able to place the big green graph on a part of one of my side monitors. Please keep it around in at least some form. :)
1 user thanked jeremygray for this useful post.
Remco on 2/11/2012(UTC)