Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

"Enable NCrunch" menu item disabled in VS2012
genebederak
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:30:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I cannot enable NCrunch for open solution in VS 2012 - the menu item "Enable NCrunch" is disabled under the "NCRUNCH" menu

• Solution is open
  • Same issue across different solutions
  • Works fine on VS 2013 for same solution(s)
  • NCrunch version 2.27.0.3 for vs 12
  • Tried Repair, Uninstall / Install nCrunch

thank you
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:03:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this issue.

Where I've seen this before, it's usually the result of an installation problem or something going wrong inside the IDE itself.

Would you be able to submit a bug report via the NCrunch menu? The log file in the report may yield some clues as to what is happening here.

Understanding that you've already tried reinstalling the software, I'm wondering if you could try this with making sure that ALL files in the NCrunch install directory are deleted before reinstalling. If there was a previous manual installation that was overwritten, this can cause strange install problems. Also check that windows hasn't 'blocked' any of the installed files if you've extracted them from zip.
tormeno
#3 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 9:32:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Bug name: NCrunch does not get enabled in VS2013

I have the same issue in VS2013. I've tried everything I found on this community and internet:

Install, uninstall, reinstall, install manually, clear the extension directory, update VS2013 to the latest version, etc.

I have a couple of other extensions installed, but nothing big. Other developers with the same PC config are able to get NCrunch up and running.

Thanks
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 9:48:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Thanks for sending through the bug report. The exception you're experiencing is below:

System.Exception: An exception was thrown in the remote environment: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'nCrunch.VSIntegration2015' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.MSBuildEngineRegistry.WithRegisteredBuildEngine(BuildEngineDescription engineDescription)
at nCrunch.Client.EngineServiceInitialiser.(Nullable`1 )
at nCrunch.Client.EngineServiceInitialiser.InitialiseServiceLocator(Nullable`1 vsVersion, FilePath solutionFilePath, Boolean isHostedInSatelliteProcess, Boolean readOnlyConfig, UIState uiState, ISupplementaryEngineInitialiser initialiser, FilePath[] assembliesResidentInIDE)
at nCrunch.Client.EngineHosting.HostedEngine.Initialise(Nullable`1 vsVersion, String engineInitialiserQualifiedTypeName, FilePath solutionFilePath, Boolean monitorExecution, Boolean readOnlyConfig, UIState uiState, FilePath[] assembliesResidentInIDE)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at nCrunch.TaskRunner.Ipc.IpcMessageProcessor.(CallMethodMessage )
at nCrunch.TaskRunner.Ipc.IpcMessageProcessor.ProcessMessageReturningResult(Byte[] data)
at nCrunch.TaskRunner.Ipc.RemoteInstance.[T](Byte[] )
at nCrunch.TaskRunner.Ipc.RemoteInstance.Invoke(IMessage msg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at nCrunch.Client.EngineHosting.IHostedEngine.Initialise(Nullable`1 vsVersion, String engineInitialiserQualifiedTypeName, FilePath solutionFilePath, Boolean monitorExecution, Boolean readOnlyConfig, UIState uiState, FilePath[] assembliesResidentInIDE)
at nCrunch.Client.EngineHosting.EngineHost.(SystemEnabledEvent )

It's interesting that NCrunch seems to think that it's running under VS2015. It infers the version of VS between 2013 and 2015 by checking the versions of assemblies that are loaded into the IDE, specifically Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell. If NCrunch sees Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.14.0 loaded into your VS2013 IDE, it will think this is actually VS2015.

I'm rather alarmed that an instance of VS2013 has such a major component of VS2015 loaded. Such a situation could cause all kinds of instability in the IDE. Most likely this is being caused by a 3rd party extension. I recommend disabling/uninstalling any other extensions you have installed to see if this rectifies the issue.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
tomamais on 11/1/2016(UTC)
tormeno
#5 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2016 4:15:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks guys!

I've found the issue. The Visual StyleCop extension was causing the problem:

https://visualstudiogall...-4fa2-95b9-1f8d011e6cae

After trying to install/uninstall one by one, that extension was the only one which was causing problem with NCrunch.

No I can get back to my happy-life with NCrunch.

:)

Happy Halloween!
1 user thanked tormeno for this useful post.
Remco on 10/31/2016(UTC)