Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch crashes when enabled
markuswallen
#1 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 2:18:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Updated to the latest NCrunch release and NCrunch stopped working for me. It seems that it crashes when initializing. I have set engine mode to "Run all tests manually" to try to ensure that it isn't anything in my tests that's causing the crash.
I have tried to uninstall and install again but get the same error.

NCrunh version: 1.37.0.46b
Visual Studio version: 10.0.40219.1 SP1REL

I get the following exception:
System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.HasIllegalCharacters(String[] str)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
at nCrunch.Core.ComponentLoader.SnapshotComponentFactory.#=qq5NfzGzcq$p3rAQR8fiXVEBuaL3eocTa6aNQW_40eB8=(String #=qMLHwaLQqGaS1x1IZxqoCVA==, String #=qcd7$jb4AezLPeLmC2P53HQ==)
at nCrunch.Core.ComponentLoader.SnapshotComponentFactory.#=qMPdXtDTnSelqiohWMscsepVanBrHVlpgwEUVjFYIMf4=(String #=qwYanEUf_jLwEw3983HKTfA==)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.<DistinctIterator>d__81`1.MoveNext()
at nCrunch.Core.ComponentLoader.SnapshotComponentFactory.#=qthG4iLC7r_zqHc2D5cTnjmJuRwv8EPvE9d0W2cxkEC0=()
at nCrunch.Core.ComponentLoader.SnapshotComponentFactory.CreateSnapshotComponentFromXml(String projectFilePath, String projectXml, String solutionFilePath, String[] additionalFilesToIncludeAtSolutionLevel)
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 9:52:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting. This problem is being caused while NCrunch is trying to load one of your projects. There's something interesting/different about one of the file paths that's been specified in the project file and NCrunch is bugging out on it.

Is this a project file that you've able to share? (i.e. an open source project).
markuswallen
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 10:00:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

No, I don't think I can share it.
But maybe I can look at the file paths. Where should I start looking?
Is it possible to look in some logs or something to be able to better find out which paths NCrunch is bugging out on?
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 9:00:52 PM(UTC)

Unfortunately it's the first time anyone has reported NCrunch failing at this particular point, so the log file isn't very verbose around the file that's actually causing the problem. From the stack trace I can establish that it's a reference to a non-code file that's written into the .proj file. Look out for any file paths that are specified containing characters that might normally be unsupported. One option may be to start removing (deducting) large parts of the .proj file until you can narrow down where the problem is. Note that your project doesn't need to be able to make it through the compiler to pass the step it's failing at, so this may help give you room in your deduction.

Are you using any custom build steps or build frameworks/SDKs that could be considered out of the ordinary?

I can rig up NCrunch to report more verbose details about this ... but unfortunately my next stable release window is still a few weeks away..
Remco
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:09:04 AM(UTC)

I've beefed up some of the error reporting in this area in the 1.38b release that just went out the door. Hopefully this will help with narrowing down what causes issues like the above.