Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ncrunch is in a corrupted state.
nrhoffmann
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:34:09 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

According to your troubleshooting guide:
Quote:
NCrunch Not Loading
If NCrunch is failing to appear in Visual Studio, or refuses to enable without obvious reason, then it's possible that the installation of NCrunch is in a corrupt state.

I have tried that appropriate fix and still doesn't work. I speculate it may be caused by previously having VS2017 preview and .netcore 2.0 installed.
But I have already removed those and reinstalled ncrunch / repaired VS2017 and it still will not work.

I have summited a bug report with my username in it.

Please help! This is really interrupting my workload.

Thank you,

nhoffmann
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:38:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this problem.

Can you confirm if running the devenv.exe /setup step as an administrator made any difference here?

If not, does running "devenv.exe /rootsuffix test" suppress the problem? (note this will temporarily run VS with a different settings root).
nrhoffmann
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:40:32 AM(UTC)

I have run devenv.exe /setup as an elevated user; doesn't fix the problem.
Trying devenv.exe /rootsuffix test ...
nrhoffmann
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:43:43 AM(UTC)

devenv.exe /rootsuffix opens up a new instance of VS then it closes. I may have briefly noticed a stacktrace the first time.
nrhoffmann
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:49:39 AM(UTC)

I applogize I left out the test param. ncruch doesn't seem to work even in the other settings root
Remco
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:54:30 AM(UTC)

Changing the rootsuffix for VS basically changes the root registry key that VS uses to store its settings. When used like this, it's a blunt way of pulling VS through a full configuration reset, since the requested root doesn't exist and will therefore be populated with defaults. If VS explodes while attempting to this, I would say there is something seriously wrong with your VS installation or there may be other software on your machine interfering with its normal operation.

I was hoping to use the above step to identify whether the problem is related to your VS configuration/state or something more specific with NCrunch. Unfortunately now we're only left with more questions.

The bug report you sent through indicates NCrunch is failing to load extremely early in the process. This is prior to any logs being reliably captured. Since you've already uninstalled and reinstalled NCrunch a few times over, I think we can safely assume it's not related to NCrunch's install state. This means we have the following suspects:
- VS itself is corrupt and malfunctioning (I think this is highly likely considering the catalyst was installation of pre-release software)
- Other software interfering with normal operation of VS/NCrunch (i.e. virus scanner, O/S level security/permissions issues, etc)
- Other software relied on by VS/NCrunch is in an inconsistent or malfunctioning state (i.e. .NET framework, O/S, MSBuild, etc)

A full uninstall and reinstall of VS may fix this but I have no way to confirm 100% that it will.

Another way we can further analyse the problem would be to start VS with a debugger attached to it and see what blows up. VS usually has a few internal exceptions that are raised during its normal operation, but since this is happening on NCrunch initialisation, I'd be particularly interested in any exceptions with a stack trace containing an NCrunch namespace. Since we're not getting any trace data from NCrunch itself, an early exception is highly likely.
Remco
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:55:19 AM(UTC)

nrhoffmann;10701 wrote:
I applogize I left out the test param. ncruch doesn't seem to work even in the other settings root

Sorry, wish I'd seen this comment when writing my last reply. I'd definitely suggest running VS with the debugger then. There's probably an exception in here somewhere.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
nrhoffmann on 6/28/2017(UTC)
nrhoffmann
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:04:24 AM(UTC)

How would I do that?
Remco
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:08:03 AM(UTC)

One way I know this is possible in VS is a little roundabout ... There may be other ways.

You can create a new empty console application project in VS. Then open up the 'Debug' properties for the project, select 'Start external program' and enter into the box the path to devenv.exe. You can then hit F5 and VS will launch itself with a debugger attached. Make sure you have your exception settings set to catch all exceptions to prevent any exception handlers robbing you of useful traces.
nrhoffmann
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:36:38 AM(UTC)

List of exceptions related to ncrunch or not related to another extension (ie. github) thrown during startup:

Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' occurred
HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.VSIntegration2017' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.VSIntegration2017.dll' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.VSAddIn' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.VSAddIn.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.Common' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.Common.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.Compiler' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.Compiler.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'AWSSDK' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/AWSSDK.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'Ionic.Zip' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/Ionic.Zip.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.WpfUI' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.WpfUI.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.Client' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.Client.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.Core' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.Core.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'RM.Product.Model.Client' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/RM.Product.Model.Client.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.TestExecution' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.TestExecution.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'Gallio' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/Modules/Gallio/Gallio.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nunit.core.interfaces' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/Modules/NUnit/nunit.core.interfaces.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'xunit.abstractions' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/Modules/XUnit2/xunit.abstractions.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'EasyHook' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/EasyHook.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

Managed Debugging Assistant 'DangerousThreadingAPI' occurred
HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'DangerousThreadingAPI' :** 'User code has attempted to call the following API: 'System.Threading.Thread.Suspend'. This may result in a deadlock in the process.'

--

Managed Debugging Assistant 'BindingFailure' occurred
HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'BindingFailure' :** 'The assembly with display name 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionEngine.XmlSerializers' failed to load in the 'LoadFrom' binding context of the AppDomain with ID 1. The cause of the failure was: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionEngine.XmlSerializers, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.'

--

Managed Debugging Assistant 'BindingFailure' occurred
HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'BindingFailure' :** 'The assembly with display name 'PresentationUI.Aero2' failed to load in the 'LoadFrom' binding context of the AppDomain with ID 1. The cause of the failure was: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationUI.Aero2, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.'

--

Thrown after opening my .sln

--

HResult=0x00000000
Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoadFromContext' :** 'The assembly named 'nCrunch.TaskRunner' was loaded from 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/Extensions/Remco Software/NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017/nCrunch.TaskRunner.DLL' using the LoadFrom context. The use of this context can result in unexpected behavior for serialization, casting and dependency resolution. In almost all cases, it is recommended that the LoadFrom context be avoided. This can be done by installing assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache or in the ApplicationBase directory and using Assembly.Load when explicitly loading assemblies.'

--

Remco
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:43:11 AM(UTC)

It doesn't look like there's anything here that would actively prevent the package from being loaded. Can you try running "devenv.exe /log c:\vslog.log" and copy/paste the contents of the log file? Perhaps VS can tell us something useful here.
Remco
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:07:44 AM(UTC)

I've been running through the initialisation code to try and get a better understanding of this problem. Since you were at least able to submit a bug report, it appears as though at least part of NCrunch is initialised. I'm wondering if we could try a reset of NCrunch's global configuration file.

Could you try deleting or renaming the file at C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\NCrunch\globalconfig.crunch.xml to see if this makes any difference?
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
nrhoffmann on 6/28/2017(UTC)
nrhoffmann
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:50:09 PM(UTC)

That was it!

Quote:
Could you try deleting or renaming the file at C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\NCrunch\globalconfig.crunch.xml to see if this makes any difference?

Maybe the uninstaller should include and option remove the appdata also?[/quote]
Remco
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:37:25 PM(UTC)

nrhoffmann;10717 wrote:
That was it!

Yikes! Ok, I'm glad we found this, but I'm not so happy about that experience.

Firstly, the config file shouldn't get corrupted in a way that would prevent NCrunch from loading.

Secondly, if it were corrupted, NCrunch should fall back with a sensible error and let you fix your config.

I probably should have considered this earlier, but is there any chance you still have a copy of the corrupt file? Analysing this may help me to understand what went wrong.
nrhoffmann
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:00:22 PM(UTC)

Remco
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:01:26 PM(UTC)

nrhoffmann;10719 wrote:

Perfect, thanks!!!
mjfreelancing
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:40:34 PM(UTC)

I had a similar issue after installing VS2017 and trying to update to v3.9

NCrunch failed to run in both VS2015 and VS2017

I have no idea but I repeated the process below several times (for repeatibility before reporting) and my NCrunch has been working ever since.

* Installed v3.9 and after finding NCrunch was not loading I uninstalled / cleaned as described in earlier posts and then:

1. Started VS2017 (No NCrunch installed) and built my project
2. Closed IDE - all this just to provide the IDE was ok
3. Installed v3.8
4. Opened IDE. Opened project. NCrunch not available (just to confirm issue still exists)
5. Opened Config screen - completely empty apart from ‘Use simplified configuration settings’ option - just an observation
6. Restarted IDE - this is a MUST
7. Changed NCrunch configuration (log output to window) – DID NOT change the verbosity – left at summary
8. Restarted IDE – output window shows normal initialization logs
9. Opened project
10. NCrunch loaded
11. Closed project
12. Changed NCrunch configuration to NOT output the logs to the window
13. Restarted the IDE
14. Opened my project
15. NCrunch is still working

I agree it makes no sense, but I'm operational again.
Remco
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:21:14 PM(UTC)

mjfreelancing;10722 wrote:
I had a similar issue after installing VS2017 and trying to update to v3.9

NCrunch failed to run in both VS2015 and VS2017

I have no idea but I repeated the process below several times (for repeatibility before reporting) and my NCrunch has been working ever since.

* Installed v3.9 and after finding NCrunch was not loading I uninstalled / cleaned as described in earlier posts and then:

1. Started VS2017 (No NCrunch installed) and built my project
2. Closed IDE - all this just to provide the IDE was ok
3. Installed v3.8
4. Opened IDE. Opened project. NCrunch not available (just to confirm issue still exists)
5. Opened Config screen - completely empty apart from ‘Use simplified configuration settings’ option - just an observation
6. Restarted IDE - this is a MUST
7. Changed NCrunch configuration (log output to window) – DID NOT change the verbosity – left at summary
8. Restarted IDE – output window shows normal initialization logs
9. Opened project
10. NCrunch loaded
11. Closed project
12. Changed NCrunch configuration to NOT output the logs to the window
13. Restarted the IDE
14. Opened my project
15. NCrunch is still working

I agree it makes no sense, but I'm operational again.

I suspect this works because changing configuration causes NCrunch to rewrite the corrupt config file.

Thanks for sharing your solution to this. Unfortunately I still haven't found a way to reproduce this (the corrupt config file shared above seemed to be OK on my system), so I'm keen to hear more from anyone else that gets hit by it.