Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch hang with long running async test
jamezor
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:37:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
With an NUnit test like so:

Code:
    [TestFixture]
    public class Class1
    {
        [Test]
        public async Task A_test_which_times_out_with_the_default_timeout()
        {
            await Task.Delay(TimeSpan.FromMinutes(2));
        }
    }

NCrunch will hang forever, while NUnit (via ReSharper) will take two minutes to complete successfully.

Using the latest NCrunch 3.12.0.15 on Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 with Visual Studio 2017 15.4.5.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 12:59:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this problem.

As you've deducted, this problem is being caused by NCrunch's timeout enforcement. As of now, NCrunch's enforcement under .NET Framework involves executing Thread.Abort on the thread responsible for executing the test. It looks like when NUnit runs an async test, there is no way to reliably establish which thread is being used for the test execution from outside of NUnit, so NCrunch is making its best guess and is aborting the wrong thread. This leaves the test to keep running, while the thread responsible for managing the execution disappears, resulting in a hung task runner.

I don't think there is a simple solution to this problem. We will need to rethink the way that timeouts are enforced for async tests.

To work around this, you'll need to do one of the following:
- Ensure you specify an NUnit 'Timeout' attribute with a sensible timeout for the test
- Set NCrunch's default timeout to something high enough that it won't be enforced for this test
- Avoid using NUnit async tests
jamezor
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:34:11 PM(UTC)

Thank you for the quick response Remco.

I've worked around this issue for now by specifying a NUnit Timeout attribute at the assembly level. Since the NUnit timeout seems reliable for async tests, would it be possible for NCrunch to use that mechanism instead of the thread abort one?

Remco
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:44:03 PM(UTC)

jamezor;11600 wrote:

I've worked around this issue for now by specifying a NUnit Timeout attribute at the assembly level. Since the NUnit timeout seems reliable for async tests, would it be possible for NCrunch to use that mechanism instead of the thread abort one?

This is a very sensible workaround. Ideally having the test framework implementing the timeouts is always better, though test frameworks aren't really designed to use them in a blanket manner. The last time I checked, NUnit also wouldn't enforce timeouts under .NET Core (because Thread.Abort doesn't exist there), so there are some other considerations. Probably we'll go with enforcing all timeouts using Process.Kill instead, since this is much more reliable, even though it does have its own pitfalls.
jamezor
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:08:11 PM(UTC)

Following up on this, I've attempted to set a NUnit Timeout attribute greater than the NCrunch timeout at the assembly level ala the following example:
Code:

[assembly: Timeout(90000)]

namespace NCrunchTest
{
    [TestFixture]
    public class Class1
    {
        [Test]
        public async Task A_test_with_the_default_timeout_which_will_get_killed_by_NCrunch_at_60_seconds_which_does_not_seem_right()
        {
        }

[Test, Timeout(80000)]
        public async Task A_test_with_a_higher_than_default_timeout_which_will_get_killed_by_NUnit_at_80_seconds()
        {
        }
    }
}

But it appears the NUnit timeout at the assembly level is not being respected whereas at the individual test level it is.
Remco
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:59:41 PM(UTC)

jamezor;11618 wrote:
But it appears the NUnit timeout at the assembly level is not being respected whereas at the individual test level it is.

I was, admittedly, concerned about this. NCrunch interprets the timeout values as fed to it by NUnit, which in turn parses the attributes itself. For the timeout attribute to work correctly at assembly level, NUnit itself would need to support it there. Interestly, the attribute itself is marked as being applicable at assembly level, so I wonder if this has always been an intention for NUnit and maybe it was never implemented.

We're still looking at options for revising NCrunch's timeout enforcement, so it's my hope that from 3.13 onwards you won't need to do this. Specifying TimeoutAttribute on each long running async test is a messy but still effective workaround to this problem.
jamezor
#7 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 12:42:55 AM(UTC)

When running in e.g. ReSharper, NUnit does apply the assembly level Timeout attribute correctly. So NUnit must support this feature to some degree. However if NUnit is not reporting the timeout values correctly to NCrunch that sounds like an issue with NUnit, you may wish to log an issue with them? Especially because even after the timeout enforcement is fixed in NCrunch, if NUnit reports incorrect timeouts then NCrunch will be operating incorrectly based on those misreported timeouts.
Remco
#8 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 1:40:03 AM(UTC)

Sorry, it looks like I was wrong.

NCrunch is inferring timeouts using the framework attributes itself, so it won't matter what NUnit reports. This isn't an NUnit problem.

The infrastructure here was built back in 2010, when NUnit didn't have an API and the whole integration was different. You'll need to use the Timeout attributes at either fixture or test level to work around this problem until it is fixed in NCrunch.
jamezor
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 5:32:37 PM(UTC)

Just revisiting this issue and it appear the problem from the post https://forum.ncrunch.ne...ync-test.aspx#post11618 is still occurring: the [assembly: Timeout] attribute is not being respected by NCrunch.
Remco
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 11:21:27 PM(UTC)

Thanks for flagging this back up. Somehow, I forgot to task this up and it was never fixed. Consequently:

- NUnit will still enforce these timeouts at test-level but NCrunch won't extract useful error information
- At fixture level (i.e. OneTimeSetup) these aren't enforced at all

I've tasked this up properly now with a goal to fixing it in the new year. For the time being, I recommend declaring the NCrunch.Framework.TimeoutAttribute next to the NUnit one, as this one can also be declared at assembly level and it will be correctly detected by NCrunch.
jamezor
#11 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 9:47:22 PM(UTC)

Hi Remco, just wondering if there was any further update on this issue? Thanks.
Remco
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 12:15:21 AM(UTC)

jamezor;15488 wrote:
Hi Remco, just wondering if there was any further update on this issue? Thanks.

Hi, I think we did end up fixing this earlier this year. Most likely the fix is included in the latest release on the download page, if not, we're hoping to push a new build later this month. Please let me know if neither build resolves the issue.
jamezor
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:51:41 PM(UTC)

Nice one, it certainly does appear to be fixed in the latest version. Thanks very much!