Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Old version support for new VS versions
Brondahl
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:14:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I have a license for an old version of NCrunch (2.13, though I doubt that matters).
I have recently upgraded my Visual Studio install to VS2017 - the Free Community version.

It looks like my old NCrunch doesn't support VS2017 (it's not present when I open VS, and on the downloads page it only lists installers up to VS2013), and that there is no Free Version of NCrunch.

I suspect that this is all as-expected, and the answer to "How do I get it to work?" is:
Quote:

The old version of NCrunch just isn't compatible with the new version of Visual Studio.
Keeping NCrunch compatible as VS evolves is hard, costly development work, so we need to charge users for it.
You'll need to pay for a license upgrade to support the latest version of Visual Studio.

But just in case I'm missing anything ...

Is there a way that I can force VS2017 to use my old version of NCrunch.
Assuming not, is there any scope for a new license model which offers upgrades to make old versions compatible, without adding new features?
Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:35:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

Since the start of the project, over 70% of the development effort on NCrunch goes into keeping the product updated with the ever churning platform underneath it (VS, .NET, test frameworks, etc). VS2017 was a particularly rough update for NCrunch, because so many things inside the IDE changed, including a whole new in-memory project system and an entirely different install structure. It took months of code changes to get NCrunch in a state where it would work reliably in VS2017, and this doesn't include the time spent on the other areas of compatibility (such as .NET Core, new versions of .NET Framework, MSTest, etc).

2017 was a frustrating year for NCrunch. Almost no new features were introduced at all in 2017. All the time went into updating the product to get it working on the newer platforms. This is reflective of the level of platform level change we're seeing right now and it's a problem that all tool vendors in the .NET eco-system are currently dealing with.

Given the above, any licensing model that separated features from compatibility improvements wouldn't be economically viable or sustainable in any form. We'd spend all our time merging code and working on compatibility improvements and no time improving the product, only for a minimal reduction in price that I doubt you would feel worthwhile.

Sorry, you'll need to either upgrade your license or stick with an older version of VS.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
Brondahl on 2/11/2018(UTC)
Brondahl
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:49:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yep, that's pretty much the answer I was expecting, and seems perfectly reasonable.
Here's hoping that VS becomes more stable compatibility-wise going forward; I can vaguely imagine how frustrating it must be to have to work so hard just to stay in the same place.

Thanks for the quick response.
Remco
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 11:17:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Brondahl;11777 wrote:

Here's hoping that VS becomes more stable compatibility-wise going forward; I can vaguely imagine how frustrating it must be to have to work so hard just to stay in the same place.

Me too! The good news is that 2018 is already looking better. We have new features coming in v3.13 :)