Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Meaning of Progress Bar display
cbretana
#1 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 6:10:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

What does this progress bar display mean (with only part of the bar in green, with no red, and with 0% displayed.)
Progress Bar

After reading the link provided by NCrunch Developer below, I understand what this means, but it appears that this is only an interim display, meaningful to display the progress of the testing process while the tests are running, and after the tests have completed, the bar should change to display the outcome of all the tests.

In my case, no matte how many times I restart the entire test suite, the display never goes any further than the display pictured above. It gets to this point and appears to freeze, or stop, as pictured above, but there is no error message or explanation.

Is this a defect, or a symptom of something else wrong? What is going on?
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 11:07:55 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

The documented description of this bar is here: http://www.ncrunch.net/documentation/concepts_risk-and-progress-bar.

The screenshot you've posted describes that around 70% of the work in NCrunch's processing queue has been processed (shown by the green bar progress), no tests are failing (bar is green), and the 'risk' level is 0% or very close to it. Risk level is determined by the number of tests in the processing queue that were impacted by code changes. In this case, because the risk is so low, it's unlikely that any of the tests in the processing queue have been impacted by code changes, so it's unlikely that a test will fail given the state of the code.
cbretana
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2018 2:23:15 PM(UTC)

Why does the bar not continue to where the entire thing is green and the 0% changes to "OK" ? It has frozen, (stopped) in the display as I showed it. No matter how long I wait it never goes any further.Even if I restart the entire suite of tests over again, it only goes to approximately the same place and stops again.
Remco
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:58:07 PM(UTC)

The continuation of the bar is dependent on the test tasks in the processing queue being completed by the engine.

If you have a big, long running test that is marked using the 'RequiredCapabilities' attribute or your engine is otherwise configured not to run it, this can result in a task being 'stuck' in the processing queue and left unexecuted by the engine. It should be possible to identify this task by opening the Processing Queue Window and examining the test.

Note that the bar also will only have its progress updated when a task actually completes. This means that if you have a test task that takes several hours to run, the bar may sit in an uncompleted state for a long period of time before suddenly hitting 100% when the task finally completes.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
cbretana on 2/25/2018(UTC)
cbretana
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:20:11 PM(UTC)

This solution has 4-5000 tests, which normally only take a few minutes to complete. Is there some way to see which test might be the culprit?
Remco
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 25, 2018 10:17:53 PM(UTC)

cbretana;11847 wrote:
This solution has 4-5000 tests, which normally only take a few minutes to complete. Is there some way to see which test might be the culprit?

Yes, you'll need to use the Processing Queue Window.