Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

"Rerun all tests" doesn't seem to be rerunning all tests
rlundy
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2018 8:04:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I usually use NCrunch in the mode where it's always running all tests all the time, but in my current project, I have a lot of database tests, so I've told NCrunch to run only impacted tests automatically.

But occasionally I feel the need to do a sanity check by rerunning everything, so I click the "Resynchronise, rebuild and rerun all tests (Reset)" button.

Does this button really do what it appears to say?

I have the distinct impression from what I'm seeing (too-quick response; missing screen artifacts I'd expect) that when I'm in "Run only impacted tests" mode, that's what the reset button does too: It only runs the tests it thinks have been recently impacted.

I can still manually select all the tests and rerun them, but what's the point of the reset button, then?
Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2018 11:22:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

The reset button completely turns off the engine and turns it back on again. It's basically the same as using the Disable then Enable menu options. Most of the time this button is only necessary if you need to resolve a problem that's appeared in the engine, like a de-sync. Over the years it's become less important as the product has matured and become more stable. Note that when the engine starts back up, it will only run tests according to your selected engine mode, so this won't cause it to run tests that aren't impacted.

The correct button for what you're trying to do is the 'Run all tests' button. This will throw ALL tests into the queue (regardless of their impact state) and will run them all. If you're working heavily in the impacted only mode, I do recommend using this button occasionally, especially if your code is making heavy use of reflection.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
rlundy on 7/4/2018(UTC)
rlundy
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 7:39:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ah, OK, that's not what I expected, but that's good to know. Up till now I've been using the reset button as "reset everything and test everything" but it sounds like I don't need it after all.

I'll stick with the "run all tests" button and see how it goes.

I wonder if you might consider removing the "all" from that Reset description, since it doesn't always rerun "all" the tests?
Remco
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 11:44:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
rlundy;12429 wrote:

I wonder if you might consider removing the "all" from that Reset description, since it doesn't always rerun "all" the tests?

That's a very good point. I'll see what I can do about this.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
rlundy on 7/4/2018(UTC)