Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Seeing full test output for multi-line formatted failure messages
Grendil
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:58:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Some of our tests have verbose assertion failure output (formatted by Shouldly) that goes for more than 4 lines. When I hover over the red X, I see the error format represented in one line, but it's too wide to be readable. If I click on the X, I see the exception details including only the first 4 lines of the exception message, but this isn't enough to understand what went wrong.

I'd like to be able to see all the lines of the error message (or at least the first 20 or so, if ). I thought I used to see this in NCrunch, but maybe I'm imagining things.

If not that, I'd like to be able to easily go to the full test output in the Tests window for this test, with a double-click or context menu command. Instead the only thing I can figure is to pin the test, and then go look among the pinned tests for it, but this is cumbersome when I'm trying to diagnose issues affecting many tests at once.

Am I missing an easier way?
michaelkroes
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:08:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi!

Thanks for reporting this. The NCrunch popups where overhauled in version 3.15. We agree there is some room for improvement in how multi-line exceptions are shown. We will look into this. We should use more of the available screen real estate for the message.

Pinning a test should selected it in the tests window and scroll to the correct position. Even if it was previously pinned, re-pinning should give it focus again.

1 user thanked michaelkroes for this useful post.
Grendil on 9/4/2018(UTC)
Grendil
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 10:33:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thanks Michael. I appreciate you looking into it and I see what you mean about pinning, it does bring focus to that line as you say.

My confusion was because, if the Tests window was already open, pinning a test doesn't also bring focus to the Tests window itself. So when using pinning as a workaround to be able to see the full test output, I have to first pin and then bring focus to the window to get the test result. When I am already using pins to mark a set of tests, and I don't really want this other test to be in that set, I have to then make sure I unpin it after seeing what the test result was. All this is not terrible, but not awesome either. :)

So, more lines in the ExceptionDetail will be great. That's often all I need. Sometimes I want to see what grid node ran the test, or when it ran, so I'd still be a fan of a quick way to go to the test in the Tests window that doesn't require pinning it but does bring focus to that window.