Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Supported vs2017 versions?
GreenMoose
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:14:17 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Hi.

I use vstudio2017 15.7 and wait with upgrading to 15.8 since I read in this forum there are some issues (e.g. GH-8073) with the newer 15.8 version?

Is there a list with "known issues" for the newer vs versions that one can keep an eye on in order to know when it is reasonable safe to upgrade vstudio without breaking (latest version) of NCrunch?

Thanks.
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:20:29 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi,

The problem you've referenced (GH-8073) is present for all versions of Visual Studio, unfortunately. The PR behind this issue was submitted to a component within the ASP.NET MVC project space to address a very specific compatibility issue with that component. Basically, it's a new part of ASP.NET that was designed in such a way as to make NCrunch support completely impossible without a code change. This change has now been accepted and my understanding is that it will be released with .NET Core 2.2.

So in short, if you're not hit with this problem now, upgrading won't change anything.

VS15.8 does have a known compatibility issue with NCrunch when working with classic .NET Framework 4.6.1 projects that make use of certain package dependency arrangements. Most people probably won't be affected by it, but there are early builds of NCrunch v3.19 that have been posted here in the forum to address it.

v3.19 will be released very soon. Probably tonight actually.

If you want to ensure stability in your environment, I recommend following either N-1 for each version of VS you use, or at least waiting 2-3 weeks after the release of a new version for the eco-system to catch up before you upgrade.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
GreenMoose on 9/5/2018(UTC)