Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Wrong assembly version copied to _ncrunchreferences
mc-clasoft
#1 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 7:13:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I've been using NCrunch quite a while in a project based on .NET 4.6.2 using MongoDB 2.4.4, compiled with Visual Studio 2017. After upgrading the project to .NET 4.7, NCrunch (3.20) started copying the wrong version of System.Runtime.InteropServices.RuntimeInformation.dll to _ncrunchreferences. Visual Studio shows the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\Microsoft.NET.Build.Extensions\net47\lib\System.Runtime.InteropServices.RuntimeInformation.dll", with version 4.0.2. The respective assemblybinding setting in the app.config redirects to 4.0.2. This works fine for the xunit console test-runner and the ReSharper runner, but when using NCrunch to run the tests, the MongoDB internals throw a FileNotFoundException for version 4.0.0. NCrunch apparently found 4.0.0, copied it to _ncrunchreferences, but MongoDB only seems to accept 4.0.2 (probably due to the redirect to 4.0.2 introduced by the upgrade to .NET 4.7). I guess that NCrunch uses the assembly from the System.Runtime.InteropServices.RuntimeInformation Nuget package, which is 4.0.0, even though Visual Studio shows a different path in the reference properties of that assembly.

Now I enabled "Copy referenced assemblies to workspace", which apparently solves the problem. But it seems very strange, and NCrunch explicitly warns about the performance implications of this setting. How can I force NCrunch to avoid the assembly from the Nuget package? I can't uninstall it, because it's a dependency of MongoDB. It just should be ignored, just like Visual Studio does.

Best regards,
Malte
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 11:04:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi Malte,

Thanks for sharing this issue.

With VS15.8, MS introduced an assembly referencing redirection hack that affected some versions of .NET. This has caused a chain of issues for us, as it means that projects now need to be built with one version of assembly while referencing a different one at run time.

NCrunch v3.19/v3.20 introduced a fix in this area, but there still seems to be a scenario that it doesn't address. We've been desperately trying to get hold of a sample solution that can produce the problem for us so that we can fix it. Is there any chance you can isolate this in a sample that you can share with us? You can submit small code ZIPs through the NCrunch contact form.
Remco
#3 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 6:15:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
mc-clasoft on 9/29/2018(UTC)
mc-clasoft
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2018 11:34:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Remco, this solved the problem.
1 user thanked mc-clasoft for this useful post.
Remco on 9/29/2018(UTC)