Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Codesmith Task Failure
pglaspey
#1 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 6:11:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Remco,

I am trying to use Codesmith to generate files and Ncrunch is not able to build the project I am using it in. The codesmith task is installed via nuget. I have tried all kinds of stuff (including the files manually, including the dll directories, etc).

Nothing seems to work.

I sometimes get cannot find System.Collections.Immutable. So I added that as a reference to the project, then I get this one.
CodeSmith.Engine is in the nuget pakage. If I include it config it still cannot find it. Any ideas?

..\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task could not be instantiated from "C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\8232\47\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\..\tools\CodeSmith.MSBuild.v4.0.dll".
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a'
at CodeSmith.MSBuild.CodeSmith..ctor()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

..\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task has been declared or used incorrectly, or failed during construction. Check the spelling of the task name and the assembly name.
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 8:12:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue.

If you inspect the contents of the NCrunch workspace generated for this project (i.e. C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\8232\47\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\..\tools) as accessible from the 'Advanced->Browse to workspace' context menu option from right clicking on the failed project, does the workspace contain all the generated files necessary for the build task to run? Particularly, does it include the CodeSmith.Engine.dll?

I've tried reproducing this problem on my end, though there are some licensing barriers in place. It looks like when I include the package using packages.config the build tasks seem to be operating normally (and preventing me from building using license dialogs).
pglaspey
#3 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 8:59:50 PM(UTC)

Remco;13222 wrote:
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue.

If you inspect the contents of the NCrunch workspace generated for this project (i.e. C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\8232\47\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\..\tools) as accessible from the 'Advanced->Browse to workspace' context menu option from right clicking on the failed project, does the workspace contain all the generated files necessary for the build task to run? Particularly, does it include the CodeSmith.Engine.dll?

I've tried reproducing this problem on my end, though there are some licensing barriers in place. It looks like when I include the package using packages.config the build tasks seem to be operating normally (and preventing me from building using license dialogs).

using Advanced -> Browse to workspace

I do see the Codesmith.Engine.dll in the packages folder as expected. in packages it has the whole CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0 directory and files same as the original project.
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 9:26:24 PM(UTC)

Could you try turning on fusion logging? Maybe this can tell us why the search paths aren't lining up with the file locations.
pglaspey
#6 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 9:34:09 PM(UTC)

Remco;13224 wrote:
Could you try turning on fusion logging? Maybe this can tell us why the search paths aren't lining up with the file locations.

..\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task failed unexpectedly.
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

Server stack trace:
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Context.EvaluationContext..ctor(SharingPolicy policy)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Context.EvaluationContext.Create(SharingPolicy policy)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.Reevaluate(ILoggingService loggingServiceForEvaluation, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.ReevaluateIfNecessary(ILoggingService loggingServiceForEvaluation, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.Initialize(IDictionary`2 globalProperties, String toolsVersion, String subToolsetVersion, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project..ctor(String projectFile, IDictionary`2 globalProperties, String toolsVersion, String subToolsetVersion, ProjectCollection projectCollection, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at #rSc.#BSc.#sSc(String #Go)
at CodeSmith.MSBuild.CodeSmith.#mSc()
at CodeSmith.MSBuild.CodeSmith.#oSc()
at CodeSmith.MSBuild.CodeSmith.#lSc()
at CodeSmith.MSBuild.CodeSmith.Execute()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext()

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : Microsoft.Build, Version=15.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\BuildSystem\28544\VS2017\nCrunch.BuildHost462.x86.exe.Config
LOG: Using host configuration file:
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
pglaspey
#5 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 9:36:58 PM(UTC)

Remco;13224 wrote:

Based on that I added immutable to additional files to include and now it looks like this. If I add CodeSmith.Engine to additional files to include it still looks like this.

..\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task could not be instantiated from "C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\28544\22\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\..\tools\CodeSmith.MSBuild.v4.0.dll".
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a'

LOG: DisplayName = CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/
Calling assembly : CodeSmith.MSBuild.v4.0, Version=6.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a.
===
LOG: This bind starts in LoadFrom load context.
WRN: Native image will not be probed in LoadFrom context. Native image will only be probed in default load context, like with Assembly.Load().
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\BuildSystem\28544\VS2017\nCrunch.BuildHost462.x86.exe.Config
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/28544/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/28544/15/src/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/28544/15/src/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/28544/15/src/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/28544/15/src/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.

..\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task has been declared or used incorrectly, or failed during construction. Check the spelling of the task name and the assembly name.
Remco
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:18:39 PM(UTC)

This looks like a versioning issue of some kind.

In the Nuget package I've downloaded for CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0, the CodeSmith.Engine DLL is v8.0.0.0. I assume it's the same in your Nuget package. Are you using different versions of CodeSmith inside the same solution?

Could you try setting your 'Build process memory limit' setting to '1', then reset NCrunch and see if this makes any difference?

Does the project build correctly via a command-line invocation of MSBuild against the .csproj NCrunch has generated in its workspace? You can find the workspace by right clicking on the failed project in the Tests Window, then going to Advanced->Browse to workspace.
pglaspey
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:42:20 PM(UTC)

Remco;13227 wrote:

In the Nuget package I've downloaded for CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0, the CodeSmith.Engine DLL is v8.0.0.0. I assume it's the same in your Nuget package. Are you using different versions of CodeSmith inside the same solution?

Could you try setting your 'Build process memory limit' setting to '1', then reset NCrunch and see if this makes any difference?

Does the project build correctly via a command-line invocation of MSBuild against the .csproj NCrunch has generated in its workspace? You can find the workspace by right clicking on the failed project in the Tests Window, then going to Advanced->Browse to workspace.

I beliieve this is the only current version in use (although I have codesmith installed as plugin to VS). Here is the latest after setting the memory limit to 1. Will check the last request of command line build next.

..\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task failed unexpectedly.
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

Server stack trace:
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Context.EvaluationContext..ctor(SharingPolicy policy)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Context.EvaluationContext.Create(SharingPolicy policy)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.Reevaluate(ILoggingService loggingServiceForEvaluation, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.ReevaluateIfNecessary(ILoggingService loggingServiceForEvaluation, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project.Initialize(IDictionary`2 globalProperties, String toolsVersion, String subToolsetVersion, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.Project..ctor(String projectFile, IDictionary`2 globalProperties, String toolsVersion, String subToolsetVersion, ProjectCollection projectCollection, ProjectLoadSettings loadSettings, EvaluationContext evaluationContext)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext()

LOG: DisplayName = System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/
Calling assembly : Microsoft.Build, Version=15.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
===
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\BuildSystem\22340\VS2017\nCrunch.BuildHost462.x86.exe.Config
LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
pglaspey
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:46:47 PM(UTC)

Remco;13227 wrote:

Here is result of MSBUILD from command line. Reading it the ViewModelGenerator.csp (project file) is indeed not copied to Ncrunch workspace. I added it to add files to include and now it is:

Build started 3/19/2019 4:52:05 PM.
Project "C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\Hedgehog.ViewModels.csproj" on node 1 (default targets).
CodeSmithGenerate:
Generating outputs for 'C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\CodeGeneration\ViewModelGenerator.csp'.
Template compilation failed.

C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets(20,5): error : C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppD
ata\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\CodeGeneration\CreateViewModelFromDto.cst(4,1) CodeSmith Generator template compiler: : Unable to resolve assembly "Hedgehog". [C:\U
sers\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\Hedgehog.ViewModels.csproj]
C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets(20,5): error : C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppD
ata\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\CodeGeneration\CreateViewModelFromDto.cst(6,1) CodeSmith Generator template compiler: : Unable to resolve assembly "Hedgehog.CodeGen
eration.exe". [C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\Hedgehog.ViewModels.csproj]
Done rendering outputs: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped (469ms).

Done Building Project "C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\Hedgehog.ViewModels.csproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\Hedgehog.ViewModels.csproj" (default target) (1) ->
(CodeSmithGenerate target) ->
C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets(20,5): error : C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\Ap
pData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\CodeGeneration\CreateViewModelFromDto.cst(4,1) CodeSmith Generator template compiler: : Unable to resolve assembly "Hedgehog". [C:
\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\Hedgehog.ViewModels.csproj]
C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets(20,5): error : C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\Ap
pData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\CodeGeneration\CreateViewModelFromDto.cst(6,1) CodeSmith Generator template compiler: : Unable to resolve assembly "Hedgehog.CodeG
eneration.exe". [C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\22340\21\src\Hedgehog.ViewModels\Hedgehog.ViewModels.csproj]

0 Warning(s)
2 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:02.94
pglaspey
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:59:00 PM(UTC)

Remco;13227 wrote:

ok I turned off the generate on build option (one of the generator files was references other projects we do not have a reference to. MSBuild works from command line now.

Still get this from ncrunch build

Server stack trace:

(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/
===
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\BuildSystem\22340\VS2017\nCrunch.BuildHost462.x86.exe.Config
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/22340/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
Remco
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:09:03 AM(UTC)

This looks like a binding redirection issue.

Could you see if you could find the System.Collections.Immutable (v1.2.3.0) on your machine (probably it's in your local nuget package cache or .NET Standard installation directory), then copy this to your '\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\' directory?
pglaspey
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:55:22 AM(UTC)

Remco;13235 wrote:
This looks like a binding redirection issue.

Could you see if you could find the System.Collections.Immutable (v1.2.3.0) on your machine (probably it's in your local nuget package cache or .NET Standard installation directory), then copy this to your '\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\' directory?

I tried that, did not make a difference.

I found the dll in the \packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\tools\rosyln directory.

Server stack trace:

(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/25396/VS2017/
===
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\BuildSystem\25396\VS2017\nCrunch.BuildHost462.x86.exe.Config
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/25396/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/25396/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/25396/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/25396/VS2017/System.Collections.Immutable/System.Collections.Immutable.EXE.
Remco
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:08:06 PM(UTC)

Can you confirm whether the version of System.Collections.Immutable you've found is v1.2.3.0? When I look in my CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0 package, it looks like the bundled version is v1.2.1.0.

I think there is a redirection happening somewhere in your NCrunch build system that is trying to force you onto a specific version of this binary. I've checked through the NCrunch code and the only place I can find where we do this intentionally is under VS2019 (not VS2017 which is the VS version you're using?). Can you check whether you have System.Collections.Immutable v1.2.3.0 anywhere on your machine, and if so, does copying this over the other version of the file make any difference?

Does this problem appear if you create a small test solution with a single package reference to the CodeSmith package in question? I'm wondering if there may be another variable in your build system that is surfacing this (i.e. another build task using a different version of System.Collections.Immutable).

Can you also check your NCrunch installation directory (usually something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017) to see if there a file called NCrunch.VSIntegration2019.dll in there?
pglaspey
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 11:17:32 PM(UTC)

Remco;13245 wrote:
Can you confirm whether the version of System.Collections.Immutable you've found is v1.2.3.0? When I look in my CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0 package, it looks like the bundled version is v1.2.1.0.

I think there is a redirection happening somewhere in your NCrunch build system that is trying to force you onto a specific version of this binary. I've checked through the NCrunch code and the only place I can find where we do this intentionally is under VS2019 (not VS2017 which is the VS version you're using?). Can you check whether you have System.Collections.Immutable v1.2.3.0 anywhere on your machine, and if so, does copying this over the other version of the file make any difference?

Does this problem appear if you create a small test solution with a single package reference to the CodeSmith package in question? I'm wondering if there may be another variable in your build system that is surfacing this (i.e. another build task using a different version of System.Collections.Immutable).

Can you also check your NCrunch installation directory (usually something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017) to see if there a file called NCrunch.VSIntegration2019.dll in there?

ok

1) I found 1.2.3.0 - copied it over the one in codesmtih/tools/rosyln file and the same result.
2) Working on small project test project - Will create new reply when I have tested that.
3) only VSIntegration2017.dll and VSIntegration2017.pkdef
pglaspey
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 11:23:41 PM(UTC)

Remco;13245 wrote:

ok with small test project.

I created class library.

I added a codesmith project file and turned on Generate on Build and Ncrunch immediately throws that same error.

I then copied version 1.2.3 over the 1.2.1 version in the nuget package and Ncrunch still throws same error.

As a test if I add a reference to the project for the immutable that I copied over I then get the below error.

Tried another scenrario

I added the CodeSmith.Engine 6.0.0.0 dll from the nuget pacakge directory and then it went back to immutable error.

packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task could not be instantiated from "C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\8636\6\packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\..\tools\CodeSmith.MSBuild.v4.0.dll".

LOG: DisplayName = CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/8636/VS2017/
Calling assembly : CodeSmith.MSBuild.v4.0, Version=6.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a.
===
LOG: This bind starts in LoadFrom load context.
WRN: Native image will not be probed in LoadFrom context. Native image will only be probed in default load context, like with Assembly.Load().
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\Patrick Glaspey\AppData\Local\NCrunch\BuildSystem\8636\VS2017\nCrunch.BuildHost462.x86.exe.Config
LOG: Post-policy reference: CodeSmith.Engine, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9fd61cdb91609a7a
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/8636/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/8636/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/8636/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/BuildSystem/8636/VS2017/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/8636/4/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/8636/4/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/8636/4/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Patrick Glaspey/AppData/Local/NCrunch/8636/4/packages/CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0/tools/CodeSmith.Engine/CodeSmith.Engine.EXE.

packages\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.8.0.0\build\CodeSmith.Generator.Task.targets (20, 5): The "CodeSmith" task has been declared or used incorrectly, or failed during construction. Check the spelling of the task name and the assembly name.
Remco
#16 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 5:43:25 AM(UTC)

Thanks for your patience on this. I've set up a trial license with CodeSmith and in doing so I've managed to reproduce this problem. To properly fix this, we'll need to make a code change to NCrunch to give it more generous search logic when resolve build-time references.

To get you working, the quickest way would be to install the System.Collections.Immutable.dll v1.2.3.0 file in your GAC using gacutil.exe, for example: gacutil.exe /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\System.Collections.Immutable.dll"

Fixing the resolution of this assembly should also resolve the other problem, as this is a downstream issue caused by the build system binding to the failed assembly resolution inside a neighbouring workspace.
pglaspey
#17 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 7:02:46 AM(UTC)

Remco;13248 wrote:
Thanks for your patience on this. I've set up a trial license with CodeSmith and in doing so I've managed to reproduce this problem. To properly fix this, we'll need to make a code change to NCrunch to give it more generous search logic when resolve build-time references.

To get you working, the quickest way would be to install the System.Collections.Immutable.dll v1.2.3.0 file in your GAC using gacutil.exe, for example: gacutil.exe /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\System.Collections.Immutable.dll"

Fixing the resolution of this assembly should also resolve the other problem, as this is a downstream issue caused by the build system binding to the failed assembly resolution inside a neighbouring workspace.

This is going to Dev Ops and other developers, so I cannot rely on this being in the gac.

We have 4 developers using ncrunch and right now this is preventing us from using it, well we are using it but our unit testing productivity is nil until this is fixed.

I appreciate your hard work and your amazing product. You know it is a good product when it has issues and does not work properly you get anxious and your productivity drops.

Thanks.
Remco
#18 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 7:50:07 AM(UTC)

pglaspey;13250 wrote:

This is going to Dev Ops and other developers, so I cannot rely on this being in the gac.

We have 4 developers using ncrunch and right now this is preventing us from using it, well we are using it but our unit testing productivity is nil until this is fixed.

Sorry about this. We'll get you a fix for this as soon as we're able to do so.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
pglaspey on 3/22/2019(UTC)
Remco
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2019 1:12:41 AM(UTC)

v3.25 has just been released including a fix for this issue.
pglaspey
#20 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2019 6:37:21 PM(UTC)

Remco;13292 wrote:
v3.25 has just been released including a fix for this issue.

Thank you very much!