Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ignored NUnit tests no longer showing up with "Show Ignored Tests" enabled
scott_wi
#1 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 11:40:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi Remco,

Pretty much as said in the title. I have some long-running integration tests that I only run manually on occasion as they take several minutes and they tend to spam a third party service. In prior builds, I was able to use the Show Ignored Tests toolbar button to make them reappear so they could be run on demand, but this no longer seems to work. The "run test/debug test" button is also hidden from the code editor for these tests.

The tests are ignored using the [Ignore] attribute in NUnit. Alternatively, I have tried to pin the tests but this doesn't seem to work either.

The new behavior means I have to un-comment the [Ignore] attribute, allow the test to run, and then re-comment it out (while hoping not to accidentally commit my change with it still un-commented as we don't desire this comprehensive happy-path test to run on the build server).

I've confirmed this behavior is happening in 3.27 & 3.28 - and I'm pretty sure the builds from earlier in the year did not exhibit this behavior.

Thanks for checking in to this!

Regards,
Scott
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:32:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting!

Since its first public version, NCrunch has always completely discarded and ignored any test that declares NUnit's [Ignored] attribute. The 'Show Ignored Tests' button in the Tests window is intended for a different kind of 'ignored' status (which sadly suffers from some level of confusion with the test framework 'ignored').

To 'ignore' a test using NCrunch, just use the 'Ignore test(s)' button on the Test Window's toolbar, or the equivalent context menu option on the tests's coverage markers.
scott_wi
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:40:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the quick response!

Wow, I must be mis-remembering, because I feel like I've used that behavior before in several projects. But it's entirely possible I was using NCrunch's ignore feature then.

Either way, I'd like to convert this thread to a feature request then, because this would be very nice to have. :-) I totally get it if there are technical limitations with getting the test framework's runner to one-time un-ignore an ignored test case, however.

Thanks,
Scott
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:46:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
scott_wi;13598 wrote:

Wow, I must be mis-remembering, because I feel like I've used that behavior before in several projects. But it's entirely possible I was using NCrunch's ignore feature then.

Understood :) In hindsight, we should have called the feature something else. Maybe 'suppress' or something. Now that everyone is familiar with it, the damage of changing it is probably higher than keeping it the same.

scott_wi;13598 wrote:

Either way, I'd like to convert this thread to a feature request then, because this would be very nice to have. :-) I totally get it if there are technical limitations with getting the test framework's runner to one-time un-ignore an ignored test case, however.

You're most welcome to suggest this on uservoice if you like.