Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Description of NCrunch as "Free Download" instead of "Trial"
zspitz
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:45:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

In the footer of every page on the NCrunch site (https://www.ncrunch.net/), there is a link to the Download page with the caption "Free Download".

This may be technically accurate, but I think it is slightly disingenuous -- "Free download" carries the implication of unlimited usage in my opinion.

I would suggest just "Download", if you don't want to call too much attention to its' being a trial download.
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 1:18:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for your suggestion.

The central problem here is that the download itself is free and comes with 30 days of free usage, and can then work with a purchased license key. To convey this accurately in a single button in a way that isn't open to interpretation is impossible.

For example, other ways:

'Download' - Suggests that the software might only be downloadable when purchased. This might cause people not to try the software as they don't realise they get 30 days for free.

'Trial Download' or 'Free Trial Download' - Does not convey that the downloaded software is the same installer regardless of whether you've purchased the software or not. This is quite critical for resale transactions as we very often have resellers that are confused about where their
customers need to download the software.

There's no way to win here. The 'Free Download' tag is very commonly used within the software industry and most people seem to understand what it means. At the top of the download page is the text:
"NCrunch supports seven versions of Visual Studio. Each uses a separate installer and is packaged with a 30-day evaluation license, allowing you to try out the product before buying a license for it."

At the moment, I don't know of a better way of conveying this without confusing someone. I apologise if the current setup has mislead you or frustrated you in any way.