Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch doesn't correctly handle screens with differing DPI
rlundy
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:22:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
(Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I tried to search for "DPI" and the forum told me I can only search for terms 4 characters or longer. 😒)

NCrunch has trouble rendering if I'm using two screens that have differing DPI settings. I use a laptop with 3240x2160 resolution, so I keep it set at 200% DPI. My external monitor, connected to a mini DisplayPort in a docking station, uses 100% DPI.

When I initially start up Visual Studio 2019, the NCrunch Tests window looks like this:

(Aaaaaaand never mind, apparently the forum doesn't take uploaded images either.)

Well, it has the tests way down at the bottom of the window, and a bunch of wasted white space, and the buttons are double-height.

If I move VS 2019 to the other monitor and then back, the tests are back at the top where they should be. But when I click the "Run All Tests" button, the buttons go back to double-height until I move or resize the VS 2019 window again.
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:53:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue.

Firstly, I do apologise for the state of this forum software. As you've no doubt established, it's very old. We often need to chose between spending time improving the online system (including the forum) and spending time on the product. Usually, the product wins. Eventually something will happen, though likely not this year.

The difference in handling of DPI scaling between screens is something that I don't think we'll be able to handle in the near future. The complexity of building a UI that can safely move between different DPI scaling at the moment is astronomical, largely because the frameworks that underpin our UI work don't yet support this particularly well. When MS released the optimize DPI scaling change in VS2019, it was a premature change that no one was ready for, including MS.

We spent literally months this year dealing with DPI issues under VS2019, and I expect that most software will have serious problems with dynamic DPI scaling between screens for a good while to come. At some stage we'll revisit it when the ecosystem has matured a bit. For now, I recommend avoiding this particular configuration in your environment.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
b33rdy on 4/1/2020(UTC)