Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Installing NCrunch with Multi Vs2019 instances?
GreenMoose
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 3:18:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 64 post(s)
I have previously run VS2019 Enterprise with NCrunch and now installed VS2019 Community Edition Side-by-side. But when running the NCrunch installer it does not seem to install to Community Edition?
Do I have to do something "special" for NCrunch to be installed in both instances?

Thanks.
michaelkroes
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 6:58:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi, sorry this isn't working as expected.

Would you mind trying to run the installer the following way:

msiexec /i "C:\temp\NCrunch_VS2019_3.31.0.3.msi" /l*v "C:\temp\MSI_Installer.log"

Could you post / mail the log file? This should tell me if the installer can detect the VS installation.
GreenMoose
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:19:14 AM(UTC)

Mail sent.
1 user thanked GreenMoose for this useful post.
michaelkroes on 10/30/2019(UTC)
abelb
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:36:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi Remco, Michael,

I assume it was resolved through the mail exchange, but I'm currently running in the exact same scenario (just installed VS Community side-by-side after previously having installed VS 2019 Pro and Enterprise). I can't seem to get NCrunch to work in the new installation. I tried running Repair. I went through Extensions menu and it does show NCrunch in the Roaming Extension Manager (but that seems to say little, Microsoft's documentation says that it only means that it was installed on some version before).

Basically: how can I enable NCrunch in a fresh installation? Or should I just totally uninstall-reinstall and/or follow manual installation instructions as described in the docs?
GreenMoose
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 7:03:13 PM(UTC)

FWIW @abelb: Just peeked into my mailbox history and Michael did some installer fixes in 4.0.x I think, and apparently I got it working when explicitly running the NCrunch isntaller for the Community edition like below (in an elevated shell):
Quote:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2019\NCrunch.Installer.40.exe /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\"

HTH
abelb
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 7:58:57 PM(UTC)

@GreenMoose, thanks. I tried it, but unfortunately, that option /u doesn't work with the MSI and NCrunch doesn't come with an EXE anymore (or at least I can't find it). I get a popup for msiexec, which shows a lot of options, including /u (repairs all required user-specific registry entries), but that only takes an MSI as its argument. I tried some other combinations, but nothing so far that seems to work.
abelb
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 10:30:43 PM(UTC)

Only way I could get it solved was by installing it manually (which is really a very simple process of copying some files, I should've thought of that sooner ;).

@Remco, if you'd like to investigate let me know, the scenario is (so far) reproducible. Maybe the scenario (installing a new VS instance) is not supported by the installer yet, but then perhaps you could add a note on the installation's page?

Note that I checked with vswhere.exe if the VS instances where discoverable, and they were.
Remco
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:15:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Some time back we made a number of improvements to the VS2019/2017 installers so that they would support up to 3 instances of VS. However, the reliability of this depends entirely on the reliability of the VS installation API to tell the installer where the VS instances are installed. We've had some scattered reports of VS instances existing on people's machines that don't seem to be reported through the API, so it's possible that your VS community instance simply wasn't being found by the installer. When this fails, the only option we have left is to perform a manual install, as the MSI has no way to install to an unreported path.

So basically, our standing on this issue is that under normal circumstances we should be able to handle up to 3 instances with the MSI. If it doesn't work, we likely can't fix it, so that's where the manual installations come in.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
abelb on 4/22/2020(UTC)
abelb
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 10:08:40 AM(UTC)

@Remco, thanks for the insight, I didn't know of the limit of 3 instances.

Quote:
under normal circumstances we should be able to handle up to 3 instances with the MSI

What is the definition of "instance"? If I open up the VS2019 installer, it shows 3x VS2019 (Community, Pro and Enterprise-Preview), plus 1x VS 2019 Build Tools. If that latter is considered an "instance", than the total number of instances is 4, not 3 on my machine.

Also curious: are 2017, 2019, preview/RTM releases considered separate for the counting up to "3 instances"? I also have VS 2017 (Pro, Community, Pro-Preview, Comm-Preview, Build Tools). That brings the full list of instances to 9.

Perhaps relevant: some have a given instance-nickname, others have the default from the VS installer (which is just a number).

Running vswhere.exe without "preview" option selected shows 2 instances VS2019 and 2 instances VS2017, it does not list the Build Tools. I would assume vswhere and MSI use the same API, but I'm guessing.
Remco
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:59:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
With the build tools installed, you will have 4 instances on your machine.... I think. We're reliant on the API and we take what it gives us. We've only really tested installation for the build tools in regards to the console tool (where this is applicable), so I'm not 100% sure what result you'll see here.

Preview instances are fully separate installs of VS and they count too. VS2017 is a separate product and is targeted only by the VS2017 installers for NCrunch.

Nicknames are not relevant for the NCrunch installers.

With the range of instances you have installed, manual installation is probably a better option anyway. It will give you more control over which instances are targeted.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
abelb on 5/21/2020(UTC)
abelb
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:25:55 PM(UTC)

Quote:
With the range of instances you have installed, manual installation is probably a better option anyway. It will give you more control over which instances are targeted.

Thanks, makes sense.

Didn't see your answer before today, strange. I'm not really happy with all the VS IDE instances, but since I do quite a lot with the OSSF F# team of Microsoft, and a lot involves particular versions of VS, it's kind of a fait a complis that I have to live with. Manual installation is rather trivial to do and the instructions are clear.