Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Functionality breaking down since license expired?
Kaerwek
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 2:49:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

My Ncrunch license expired during the summer.

Now I've found, that if I debug with NCrunch, local variables fail to be evaluated:

I guess I should renew my license to hopefully get that fixed. Probably would.

But I wonder, is it typical that NCrunch breaks down like this when license has expired?
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 10:36:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

There is no connection between license expiry and degradation of features within NCrunch. The licensing system is kept separate from the rest of the product.

However, it is reasonable to expect problems to appear if you upgrade your version of Visual Studio without using the latest version of NCrunch.

In recent years MS have ramped up the speed of development of VS, with many changes being pushed at least a dozen times per year. It's impossible to warrant future compatibility with unreleased versions of VS, as we simply don't know what MS expect to change. For this reason, keeping NCrunch updated becomes quite important if you are also installing VS updates.

The problem you've encountered here looks familiar to me, and I don't think it's related to changes in the platform/VS. A few months ago we discovered a problem where some debugging information wasn't being correctly handled under VS2015 and above. A fix was released with the latest version, so I do recommend trying an upgrade. If it doesn't solve the problem, the big V4 release we're about to push very likely will solve it, as we've completely rebuilt this area of the product.