Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Enable NCrunch menu option is disabled
CalvinDale
#1 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 11:27:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

NCrunch reported that one project was failing to build even though all projects in my solution would actually build successfully. NCrunch indicated that the problem was insufficient memory. (Incidentally, I have 12GB on my machine and Task Manager reported that only about 8 GB was then in use). I then closed and restarted Visual Studio and reopened my solution. Enable NCrunch was still disabled. I then disabled DevExpress (CodeRush/Refactor) and the Telerik JustMock add-in and restarted Visual Studio several times. I also tried deleting the three .crunchsolution* solution-level files. But none of those actions has so far restored the Enable NCrunch functionality. I also enabled logging...but nothing was reported in the NCrunch Output console.

I've submitted a bug report.

What else can I try? thanks!

Postscript: I uninstalled and reinstalled NCrunch (with DevExpress and JustMock still disabled). That action didn't fix it either...still can't enable NCrunch.
Remco
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:25:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi Calvin,

Thanks for posting!

I've had a look through the bug report you sent through, and it appears like an initialisation problem of some kind. Are you able to let me know which version of Visual Studio you are using?

Also, does the problem occur if you open your solution directly from Windows Explorer (i.e. by double-clicking the .sln).

Considering the high level of memory you have available for your system, the out of memory error may relate to the build process exceeding the 32-bit memory limit. Are you using any custom build tools, scripts, steps, frameworks, SDKs or templates that may be considered out of the ordinary?

Cheers,

Remco
CalvinDale
#3 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 3:21:49 PM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

I'm running VS 11 Beta Ultimate. I did try launching via double-clicking the .sln file and happily the Enable NCrunch option was again enabled. But this happened only after the procedures chronicled in the previous post. I.e., after uninstalling and reinstalling NCrunch and also both JustMock and DevExpress were disabled...but at least it's up and running now. I'll post again if this problem recurs.

Many thanks!
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 9:22:52 PM(UTC)

Hi Calvin -

I'm wondering if you might be able to try downloading the latest version of NCrunch for VS11. Shortly after 1.38b was released, this problem was reported and I put up a new build revision with a fix for it ... it's quite possible that you were in the early batch of people to download 1.38b and you are running on the unfixed revision. Have a look at http://forum.ncrunch.net...VS-11-beta-install.aspx

Regardless of the above, a workaround is to always open the solution via explorer - so moving to the later revision is entirely optional. The revision contains nothing except a fix for this problem. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Remco
CalvinDale
#5 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 11:44:35 PM(UTC)

Sure thing. I was running 1.38.17b which I downloaded on 3/7. I just tried 1.38.18b and it worked.

Incidentally, whenever I close the Visual Studio after working for a bit in the IDE with NCrunch enabled, a second (non-visible) instance of devenv.exe is left dangling and has to be closed via Task Manager. I suspect this is related to NCrunch. Both times I uninstalled NCrunch, I had to manually shut down the devenv.exe process.
Remco
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:02:34 AM(UTC)

Thanks - I'm glad that did the trick :)

There is an intermittent issue in there somewhere in the process termination. I haven't yet been able to pinpoint it, but if you can find anything that helps you to create the problem consistently I'd love to hear more about it.

Cheers,

Remco
Remco
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:24:29 PM(UTC)

For anyone interested, the issue described above (devenv.exe left hanging) was caused by a random deadlock on exit of VS and has been fixed in the most recent release of NCrunch (1.39b).
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
rlarno on 5/22/2012(UTC)