Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

IDE Performance Warnings in VS2019
RichardMoore
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 2:48:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi folks, first off let me say what an awesome plugin NCrunch is - love it.

I have a problem with performance though.

VS2019 often glitches and I get performance warnings from VS to do with NCrunch slowing things down.

VS2019 Performance Warning

This warning I got when loading a solution, and NCrunch is currently disabled in the Extensions->NCrunch menu. NCrunch is enabled in the Extension Manager, but disabled via its own menu if that makes sense?

I'm guessing that the issue is more down to the way VS handles extensions than NCrunch itself, but do you have anything I can try to improve performance?

Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 1:05:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

Could you submit a bug report straight after you've had this happen to you, detailing the number of seconds NCrunch was reported as stalling the IDE for?

VS displays these messages when its internal system detects the IDE is unresponsive. It then examines the stack trace for the hanging thread, and looks for any entry in the stack that is related to another product. If it finds one, the product is immediately blamed through the yellow banner. Naturally this has huge potential for misplaced blame (and plugin developer frustations), so please do take these warnings with a grain of salt.

We also track every activity in NCrunch internally and store this in our log, so if we're responsible, I'm hopeful the bug report will identify it ... however, with the product deactivated, our level of IDE integration is very close to zero, so there's a high likelihood that there's nothing we can do in NCrunch itself to resolve this.
RichardMoore
#3 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 9:49:56 AM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

Bug report sent.

A strange thing, when I loaded the solution NCrunch was enabled and I didn't get the warning. I disabled NCrunch and re-started VS, loaded the solution and VS gave me the yellow bar and said that it stopped responding for 12 seconds.

I don't know if you've seen this video from MS - "The architecture and inner workings of Visual Studio - Visual Studio Remote Office Hours" https://youtu.be/fdmIpOOcWEQ - two senior MS guys talking about how VS is still based heavily on legacy Win32 code, WinForms and Com. At one point they have a laugh about how one of the main startup functions is 5,000 lines of legacy code and they daren't touch it. No wonder VS is becoming such a pile of crap these days.
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 1:08:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
RichardMoore;14953 wrote:

Bug report sent.

Thanks for sending through the report. It was very short and quite conclusive with minimal activity and no issues or bottlenecks reported. As far as I can establish right now, this one doesn't look like us.

A strange thing, when I loaded the solution NCrunch was enabled and I didn't get the warning. I disabled NCrunch and re-started VS, loaded the solution and VS gave me the yellow bar and said that it stopped responding for 12 seconds.

It is entirely possible that the hangup is the result of complex interactions inside VS that may or may not involve NCrunch. If it's happening for you consistently enough, I'd suggest trying to get a debugger on it and break into the debug session when it hangs. This will give you a chance to extract the stack trace at the point of hanging and hopefully identify the source of the issue. This would involve having one instance of VS debug another one. Note that the debugger greatly degrades performance on a debugged VS instance.

I don't know if you've seen this video from MS - "The architecture and inner workings of Visual Studio - Visual Studio Remote Office Hours" https://youtu.be/fdmIpOOcWEQ - two senior MS guys talking about how VS is still based heavily on legacy Win32 code, WinForms and Com. At one point they have a laugh about how one of the main startup functions is 5,000 lines of legacy code and they daren't touch it. No wonder VS is becoming such a pile of crap these days.

I have a lot of respect for many of the people that work on VS. Given the age of the project and everything it's been through, it must be a true nightmare to keep things running much less push through new features. There are many things that I'm unhappy with in the newer versions of VS, but I have to admit it's quite a remarkable feat that it works as well as it does in most cases. I really do wish they would have thought to report the stack traces they capture when playing these blame games though. As a package developer, it's rather hard to find a constructive solution when your only symptom is a yellow bar blaming your product for something you can't pin down or explain.

1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
RichardMoore on 9/4/2020(UTC)
RichardMoore
#5 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 1:20:57 PM(UTC)

Thanks Remco, I guess I'll just have to live with the hangs.

I've been using Visual Studio for 20 years and it rots year by year. I lose track of how many times a day the IDE breaks, or it sits there hanging for a minute here or there. Or on a bad day completely CTDs.

They're more focused on a fast development cadence these days than actually modernising and stabilising the code.

The MS bug support system is a joke, you raise a bug, they get you on the re-install path, send you off to research it unpaid, then their bots auto close the bug due to lack of interest.

Yes there's a lot of good people working on VS, just a shame they don't address the many long term issues that exist and they end up making an ass of, and wasting the resources of good extension developers like yourselves.
1 user thanked RichardMoore for this useful post.
Remco on 9/4/2020(UTC)
RichardMoore
#6 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 2:25:57 PM(UTC)

Launched VS again with NCrunch Enabled.

Got the 12 second hang with yellow bar warning, have sent bug report.

My previous comment about there being no hang with NCrunch disabled was a red herring and jusy co-incidence.