Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Failed to Load Any Projects in NCrunch
b33rdy
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 6:55:30 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I've loaded a new solution I'm involved in, and went to enable NCrunch, but it's failing to load any of the projects.

They're all netcoreapp3.1, only really have inter-project references (i.e. they're not jumping about the file-system doing anything strange). The only oddity I can see is that they use a private NuGet repo, but that's all configured and working (in VS at least) where they build and run without issue.

The tests also run without issue using VS's Test Runner.

NCrunch reports the following: "NCrunch has been unable to detect specific projects in this solution"

There are projects in this solution that have not been reported as loaded by the IDE during NCrunch initialisation. It is possible that these projects are of an unusual type and NCrunch has been unable to correctly detect them, or they may be 'unloaded' in Visual Studio.

If these projects are not required for your NCrunch session, it is recommended that you ignore them using the NCrunch 'Ignore this component completely' configuration setting.

The following projects exist in this solution but could not be resolved by NCrunch during initialisation:

(lists the projects)
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 11:16:58 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Thanks for sharing this issue. Is this something you can reproduce with a sample solution? I wonder if it may be related to the project type.
b33rdy
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 3:48:12 PM(UTC)

I don’t really know. Feels like an open ended experiment.

The project types are either exe or library. Is there some logging I can crank up?
Remco
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:13:02 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
For this particular problem, I don't expect the logs will be able to tell us much ... as the issue is more around something not being reported rather than a specific failure inside NCrunch. Still, it's probably worth submitting a bug report. I'll review the log in the report to see if there's anything abnormal in there.

The key approach from here is to deduct the specific source of the problem. Does this only happen for one solution? Are you able to make a new solution that can do the same thing?
b33rdy
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2021 5:57:55 PM(UTC)

I've seen it in another solution actually, one where there's a complex series of Directory.Build.props + Directory.Build.targets referencing all kinds of things, so I chalked it up to that at the time. It's was a net50 project too - series of library, exes and web apps.

This doesn't have any of that, it's three netcoreapp3.1 based projects - one exe, two libraries.

I'll submit the report (I'll update this thread when I do) and if I get a chance I'll try and reduce the project items to a more basic form that I can zip and send.
1 user thanked b33rdy for this useful post.
Remco on 4/1/2021(UTC)