Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

new install after restarting VS NCrunch is enabled, but the engine is not running
rjmccabe
#1 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 2:16:19 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I did a new install of NCrunch and was able to uses it for a few hours. However after restarting VS NCrunch does not run. The menu items are enabled, but when I open the Tests window there are no test and the engine is not running. I am using VS enterprise 2019 with Resharper, CodeMaid and Specflow extensions.

After uninstalling NCrunch, removing all NCrunch files in my solution, rebooting, reinstalling NCrunch and opening my solution I get a dialog with "Last Chosen Setting". NCrunch is leaving files on my system after uninstall (very bad!). If I need to remove these files where are they?
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:21:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

When NCrunch is in this state, does the 'Enable' option in the NCrunch menu work or create any kind of result? Do you have the option to Submit Bug Report from the NCrunch menu, and if so, could you try submitting a report?

rjmccabe;15663 wrote:

After uninstalling NCrunch, removing all NCrunch files in my solution, rebooting, reinstalling NCrunch and opening my solution I get a dialog with "Last Chosen Setting". NCrunch is leaving files on my system after uninstall (very bad!). If I need to remove these files where are they?

These files are stored under your local user profile (i.e. C:\Users\Remco\AppData\Roaming\NCrunch). Delete as you see fit.
Remco
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:27:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
I've just found a bug report submitted with symptoms similar to what you've just described (I'm I guessing this was from you). The exception encountered in NCrunch is below:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'nCrunch.Common.IO.PathHelper' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.IOException: The path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools"' could not be processed because it is not of legal form
at nCrunch.Common.IO.DiskPath..ctor(String absolutePath, Boolean pathIsChecked)
at nCrunch.Common.IO.DirectoryPath.FromAbsolutePath(String absoluteFilePath)
at nCrunch.Common.VsInstallationFinder.GetVSInstallPath(VisualStudioVersion vsVersion)
at nCrunch.Common.IO.PathHelper..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at nCrunch.Common.IO.PathHelper.MakeAbsolutePathRelative(String absolutePathToMakeRelative, String relativeToAbsoluteDir)
at nCrunch.Common.ComponentUniqueName..ctor(FilePath projectFilePath, DirectoryPath solutionDirectory, String targetFramework)
at nCrunch.VSAddIn.Synchronisation.Solution.(FilePath , String[] )
at nCrunch.VSAddIn.Synchronisation.Solution.(DteSolutionOpenedEvent )

The system is failing when trying to find the installation of VS. I think this is caused by a malformed environment variable on your system. Can you check if NCrunchVSInstallPath.VS2019 is set to a valid path? Maybe clear this variable if it exists.