Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Grid Node & .NET 6.0.1
Andrei
#1 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 10:00:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I'm trying to get NCrunch Grid Node running in connection with VS2022 and .Net 6.0.1.

After managing some errors I stuck on that message now:

Quote:
NCrunch: v6.0.101 of the Dotnet SDK is being used by the NCrunch client, but this server is using v, which is the closest matching version found installed. This may cause issues with the build system. Consider installing v6.0.101 of the Dotnet SDK on this machine.

I'm not sure what "but this server is using v" means. The server has installed:

- VS Build Tools 2022
- .Net Framework 4.8 Developer Pack
- .Net SDK 6.0.101-win-x64 (so you see the needed SDK is installed)
- NCrunch GridNodeServer 4.11.0.2

Maybe the GridNodeServer cannot recognize the Version 6.0.101 of .Net?

Would be great if you have any hints.

Best regards

Andrei
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 12:22:42 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Andrei,

This message can be shown if the grid node is unable to find the installation path of .NET.

There's been a few people posting about these issues with grid nodes. It seems that the way we've been using to find the Dotnet install path is not reliable, so probably we'll need to implement additional fallback scenarios.

If the server can't find the install path, it should still continue to work with the default version (which will be the latest version installed on the node). Do you experience any actual build errors when using this node? If not, the warning may be benign.
Andrei
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2021 11:00:03 AM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

thanks for your reply. I still get the same error message (below). I think NCrunch is looking for files on a false place. On my local machine I've installed VS 2022 Enterprise and on the Grid Node Server I've installed the Build Tools 2022 that reside in a different folder. Maybe that's the rease the target "Build" cannot be found. Honestly - I don't know, what that "target Build" means in detail.

For me it's no option to install the whole VS 2022 Enterprise package on the build server. So maybe there are more configuration options to tell the grid node what paths to use?

Best regards

Andrei

Quote:

****************** BUILD OUTPUT FROM 'BUILDSERVER2-AE' ******************

MA2.Core.csproj (0, 0): The target "Build" does not exist in the project.

NCrunch: v6.0.101 of the Dotnet SDK is being used by the NCrunch client, but this server is using v, which is the closest matching version found installed. This may cause issues with the build system. Consider installing v6.0.101 of the Dotnet SDK on this machine.

NCrunch: The following files were used when building this project locally but do not seem to exist on the remote grid node responsible for building this project:
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.props
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Imports\Microsoft.Common.props\ImportBefore\Microsoft.LiveUnitTesting.props
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Imports\Microsoft.Common.props\ImportBefore\Microsoft.NuGet.ImportBefore.props
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\NuGet\17.0\Microsoft.NuGet.props
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\NuGet\NuGet.props
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.CSharp.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Managed.Before.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.CSharp.CurrentVersion.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Roslyn\Microsoft.CSharp.Core.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Roslyn\Microsoft.Managed.Core.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Roslyn\Microsoft.Managed.Core.CurrentVersions.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Managed\Microsoft.CSharp.DesignTime.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Managed\Microsoft.Managed.DesignTime.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportBefore\Microsoft.Cpp.VCLibs120Universal.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportBefore\Microsoft.LiveUnitTesting.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportBefore\Microsoft.Net.CoreRuntime.ImportBefore.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportBefore\Microsoft.NetNative.ImportBefore.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.NET.props
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v17.0\CodeAnalysis\Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Xaml.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.WorkflowBuildExtensions.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v17.0\TeamTest\Microsoft.TeamTest.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\NuGet\NuGet.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.DesktopBridge.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\DesktopBridge\Microsoft.DesktopBridge.Common.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.Docker.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Sdks\Microsoft.Docker.Sdk\build\Microsoft.Docker.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.NET.Build.Extensions.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\Microsoft.NET.Build.Extensions\Microsoft.NET.Build.Extensions.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.Net.CoreRuntime.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.NetNative.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.NuGet.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.QualityTools.Testing.Fakes.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v17.0\Fakes\Microsoft.QualityTools.Testing.Fakes.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Fabric.ServiceProject.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v17.0\Service Fabric Tools\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Fabric.ServiceProject.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Microsoft.Web.ImportAfter.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.ServiceModel.targets
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\2022\enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Managed.After.targets

Often this can be caused by configuration differences between your client machine and the grid node, in which case the installed SDK directories may be different between machines. If you are experiencing consistent problems when building this project on the grid node, the missing files listed above are worth investigating as they may highlight SDKs required on the grid node that have not yet been installed. Please note that this is not necessarily an error case as projects very often build successfully on grid nodes with only a subset of the client machine's installed SDKs.
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2021 11:52:49 AM(UTC)

Andrei;15913 wrote:

For me it's no option to install the whole VS 2022 Enterprise package on the build server. So maybe there are more configuration options to tell the grid node what paths to use?

The installation path NCrunch is unable to find is that of the Dotnet SDK, namely, the directory that contains dotnet.exe on your machine. Usually this is under C:\Program Files\dotnet.

It's possible to target the search logic by setting the 'DOTNET_MSBUILD_SDK_RESOLVER_CLI_DIR' envionment variable on your machine to point to this path, for example:

"DOTNET_MSBUILD_SDK_RESOLVER_CLI_DIR" = "C:\Program Files\dotnet"

Note that after setting this environment variable you will need to restart the grid node service so that the process can pick up the new value.
Andrei
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2022 10:59:42 AM(UTC)

Thank you Remco,

I've quit investigation to get that running - it does not work with my setup. Maybe it will if you optimize the recognition of the .Net 6 Sdk ;) Thanks for your tries.

Best regards

Andrei
Remco
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2022 12:26:52 PM(UTC)

Andrei;15921 wrote:

I've quit investigation to get that running - it does not work with my setup. Maybe it will if you optimize the recognition of the .Net 6 Sdk ;) Thanks for your tries.

Sorry to hear this. Keep an eye out for the next build, as we have some work planned in this area.