Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Unable to connect to the specified license server | NCrunch 4.11, VS 2022, Windows 11
GlobalConcepts
#1 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2022 12:27:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I got a new notebook this week having Windows 11 installed.
Since we have to use some extensions that are still not supported with VS 2022 I've installed both VS 2019 and VS 2022 and installed the NCrunch extensions version 4.11.

First step after installing them was to enter my license details by connecting to our license server.
Using VS 2019 that all seems to have worked well since hat dialog has accepted the information I've entered.
Using VS 2022 I've entered the same information I receive an error "Unable to connect to the specified license server".

Since VS 2019 seems to work I don't think this is a common network related issue but maybe some firewall problem.
But also with a firewall set to "off" I receive that error.

What else could cause this problem? Might I have forgotten to install some components required?
Are there any logs available?

Edit: It seems like that SSL Cerfiticate of our License Server is not trusted by my machine. VS 2019 does ignore this issue but VS 2022 does not.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2022 11:30:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
GlobalConcepts;16032 wrote:

Edit: It seems like that SSL Cerfiticate of our License Server is not trusted by my machine. VS 2019 does ignore this issue but VS 2022 does not.

This is interesting. The HTTP(S) request from the license server client in VS will be using whatever version of the .NET framework is being used for the version of VS. MS must have tightened some of the behaviour around SSL in the later version of the framework. I'm glad you figured this one out (it would certainly not have been my first guess).
GlobalConcepts
#3 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2022 8:25:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It was also not my first guess. Since VS 2019 was working I thought it might be some firewall related issue.

A colleague provided me the root certificate used on that server this morning that I've added to my trusted root certificates. Now also the connection through SSL is working.
So I think this topic can be closed.
1 user thanked GlobalConcepts for this useful post.
Remco on 3/21/2022(UTC)