Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Unused engine hosts?
distilled
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2022 2:53:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Not really an issue, just a question. I noticed that in NCrunch's extension directory there are several flavors of nCrunch.EngineHost. One flavor for each full .NET framework version and architecture combination.

How does NCrunch determine which of these to use? I've only ever seen nCrunch.EngineHost462 running on my machine despite the fact that all of my projects are either .NET 4.8 or on a recent version of .NET Core. I realize that there probably isn't an improvement to be had by using a higher version, just curious.
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 12:27:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

Like with TestHost and BuildHost, we have a version of EngineHost for every major version of .NET Framework. Because we need to support older versions of VS, the NCrunch engine is locked to .NET 4.0 (Actually, .NET 3.5 for most places). As such, we can run in a pretty wide range of versions of .NET Framework (but not .NET Core... yet).

The version of nCrunch.EngineHost is intended to match the version of .NET Framework used by the version of VS you're running. So if you're on VS2010, it'll be .NET 4.0. The later versions of VS are a bit more complicated because sometimes minor version releases of VS could result in a change of .NET.

The idea behind this is to make sure that the version of .NET used by NCrunch is actually installed on the machine, so you get an easier setup experience.

However, thanks to your post, I've just noticed that we're referenced v4.6.2 under VS2022, when actually we should be in v4.8. I'll get that fixed :)