Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

.NET 6 Support? - Long Paths Build Error?
meagy
#1 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2022 3:17:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi!

We are attempting to upgrade a solution that has a mix of .NET 6 projects and .NET Standard 2.0 libraries. I noticed that .NET 6 is not listed on your supported frameworks page currently - is that accurate? https://www.ncrunch.net/support/frameworks . Also, .NET Standard does not have any versions listed, just a generic ".NET Standard" - is 2.0 supported?

We are using Version 4.11.2 of the Ncrunch Console Tool.

When attempting to build our solution we are getting the following error regarding long file paths. Does this have to do with non-support or .NET 6 (core?)? This is running on Windows 10 and long paths is enabled in the registry. My assumption from researching the internet and reading past NCrunch forums is that the 259 character limit is coming from NCrunch and not from the underlying msbuild (dotnet build) build system - is that correct?

"some info redacted with "x")":

[Step x/x] The path 'C:\Users\xx-xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\NCrunch\10492\8\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.Web\Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Razor.SourceGenerators\Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Razor.SourceGenerators.RazorSourceGenerator\Views_Shared_Components_LayoutNavigationViewComponent__LayoutNavigation_cshtml.g.cs' could not be processed because it exceeded the maximum allowed length of 259 characters - System.IO.PathTooLongException: The path 'C:\Users\xx-xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\NCrunch\10492\8\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.Web\Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Razor.SourceGenerators\Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Razor.SourceGenerators.RazorSourceGenerator\Views_Shared_Components_LayoutNavigationViewComponent__LayoutNavigation_cshtml.g.cs' could not be processed because it exceeded the maximum allowed length of 259 characters

Thanks,

-Matt
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2022 11:10:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

We do already support .NET 6. The supported frameworks page was out of date, so I've just updated it now (thanks for letting me know about this).

A couple of years ago we did work through to try and add support for long file paths. From memory, this involved making sure that nothing in the NCrunch codebase would try to enforce path length limits. We gave up when it seemed that practically nothing in the underlying toolset (.NET, Windows, msbuild, msbuild targets, etc) seemed to work with it. I would hope that things have improved in this area. Do you have the full stack track for the exception you've been given? If it's being kicked up by NCrunch, we'll fix it. If it's something under the hood, there may not be much we can do about it.

You might be able to work around the long path by changing your NCrunch's workspace bath path and moving it closer to the disk root.