Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch consistently crashing Visual Studio on resize - only after license expired
emsurgecto
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 10:49:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello.

I have a dual-monitor setup, and I usually have NCrunch's Tests window on the secondary monitor. This setup has been working fine for a while, although NCrunch does seem to struggle to detect the correct size of the screen and every time I open Visual Studio I need to manually "Restore Down" + "Maximize" NCrunch's window in order to get NCrunch to show the content correctly. Otherwise, the right pane is truncated and the content is not visible

The above is an issue that is annoying but not a big deal.

However, since my license expired, NCrunch is consistently crashing Visual Studio as soon as click the "Restore Down" button. Visual Studio goes unresponsive and I need to close it down and start it again.

This issue is a big problem because, combined with the original problem, it does render NCrunch unusable.

Any ideas?
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 11:00:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this problem.

Do you have different scaling settings between your monitors?

Can you confirm which version of NCrunch you're running?
emsurgecto
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 11:06:11 AM(UTC)

Hi, and thanks for your quick response.

>> Do you have different scaling settings between your monitors?

Yes. The secondary monitor, where NCrunch's window usually is, is smaller and has a 100% scale. The primary monitor is bigger and has a 125% scale.

>> Can you confirm which version of NCrunch you're running?

Version 4.15.0.4
emsurgecto
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 11:10:51 AM(UTC)

And I can confirm that setting the scaling to 100% on the primary monitor and restarting Visual Studio stops NCrunch from crashing, and it also solves the truncating problem.

An alternative solution would be great though. I do need the scaling in my primary monitor :-)
Remco
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 11:17:42 AM(UTC)

emsurgecto;16503 wrote:
And I can confirm that setting the scaling to 100% on the primary monitor and restarting Visual Studio stops NCrunch from crashing, and it also solves the truncating problem.

An alternative solution would be great though. I do need the scaling in my primary monitor :-)

Thanks for confirming this. We don't support dynamically changing the scaling on the NCrunch UI by dragging tool windows between screens with different scaling. This is because of limitations in the underlying toolset (winforms). However, it shouldn't crash the IDE. Could I trouble you to try bringing out the crash with another VS instance debugging VS while it crashes? This should allow you to provide us with a stack trace. Unfortunately newer versions of VS make it much harder to get this stack trace now (it used to be in the event viewer).
emsurgecto
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 11:23:26 AM(UTC)

I will try to get you the stack trace.

And a clarification: I don't drag the window to the other monitor. It's already there when it opens, because it was there last time I closed Visual Studio and it seems to remember its position.
Remco
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 11:27:18 AM(UTC)

emsurgecto;16505 wrote:

And a clarification: I don't drag the window to the other monitor. It's already there when it opens, because it was there last time I closed Visual Studio and it seems to remember its position.

Understood :) I just wanted to be clear that we can't make it as perfect as we want it to be. Regardless, a crash in any case is not an acceptable outcome.
emsurgecto
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2023 11:28:21 AM(UTC)

Unfortunately, setting the scaling back to 125% and restarting Visual Studio does not reproduce the issue anymore. Which is good news, in a way, although it means I can't send you the stack trace now.

I'll keep an eye out and if I see it again I'll make sure to post the stack trace here.
1 user thanked emsurgecto for this useful post.
Remco on 3/2/2023(UTC)