Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

the "NCrunc Tests" toolbar contains too much stuff: make it more usable for narrower layouts
carlosirna
#1 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2024 12:33:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think I made this suggestion while you were in the process of moving back the suggestions in this forum, since I wasn't able to find my original post

Ok, The point is that I keep the NCrunch test window docked to the left side of NCrunch. it looks like this:

My layout

As you can see the toolbar at the top, being cropped to the visible area, is almost unusable... to the point that I noticed only today, after years, that there is a "search" editbox at the end of this toolbar.

The window, with the arrangrment I am using is just 320 pixels wide, and it needs to be 930 pixels wide to have the top toolbar fully visible
Moreover: even when it is fully visible, the search box really tiny: the names of most of my test methods would need at least 3X that space to be fully visible in that searchbox.

This is my proposal:

1. move the search box at the bottom of the grid, and let it expand in order to get the full width of the available client area
  2. the combo box "Tree structure", is not something one fiddles with continuously and takes away a lot of space: it could easily become a simple button with a popup menu, otherwise, It could be moved too to the bottom, side by side with the search box
  3. when the toolbar hasn't enough horizontal space, just arrange it vertically, instead of cropping it (or let users explicitly choose their preferred layout: horizontal top, left vertical, right vertical... and keep the search box and "tree structure" at the bottom

The idea is something like this:
proposed layout

as a side note: I think NCrunch would benefit in a revamping of the images with more modern icons, especially with icons that scale well on hi-dpi monitors. It happened already a couple of times that I wanted to show NCrunch to younger colleagues that immediatly criticized me for using something that looked 15 years old. Surely it is something superficial and says a lot about those programmers, but hey, they are potential customers being turned off by the first impression...
2 users thanked carlosirna for this useful post.
Remco on 7/5/2024(UTC), cepeone on 8/15/2024(UTC)