Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Rider - build in progress - continuously
sgrassie
#1 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2024 8:20:31 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Running in the latest version of Rider, the NCrunch plugin just continously builds the projects. As I'm typing this I'm watching the processing queue and they're just chugging along. It seems like unit tests never actually get run.

For context, this is on a corporate Windows laptop with some heavy handed security.

NCrunch in Visual Studio works perfectly fine, as I'm certain that exclusions for the VS NCrunch processes were put in place, so I guess what I'm really after is any advice on how I can 'prove' it's the security stuff getting in the way with Rider, and which processes that NCrunch spins up that I should ask for exclusions in the security software for.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2024 8:37:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1283 time(s) in 1190 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue.

This sort of problem is usually caused by build loops. Something is constantly making changes to files in the source directory, which keeps triggering NCrunch. Sometimes this is actually triggered by NCrunch itself - if the source contains absolute file paths, merely running the build (or sometimes tests) can cause source files in the foreground solution to change, which triggers another build, and it keeps going around and around.

The best way to diagnose this is by turning on logging in NCrunch, then using the logs to see which file changes are triggering the build.

You'll need to have a log verbosity of Medium or Detailed to see the file changes. Under Rider, NCrunch will write logs to the backend*.log file that can be found by going through Help->Diagnostic Tools->Show Log In Explorer.

Alternatively you can probably see it by choosing 'Submit bug report' in the NCrunch menu and saving a ZIP file, which contains the recent logs. In this way you won't need to sift through Rider logs, but the log window is much more limited.