Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Coverage markers do not display, but NCrunch build works
georgemc
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:58:00 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Reading about performance improvements gained by using a RAM-drive, I went ahead and set one up.

I made the mistake of typing the path for "Workspace base path" as "M:/NCrunch", rather than "M:\NCrunch". The problem is that things seem to work until you notice, too late in my case, that the coverage markers have gone away. Looks like the build part of NCrunch is tolerant of unixy paths, while the coverage marker bits are not.

Easy fix - put a file browser/validator in the configuration GUI rather than a raw text field.

I found the benefit of the RAM disk quite dramatic - maybe it would be worthwhile bundling one into NCrunch or making the idea of installing one even more obvious to a first time user? NCrunch is the perfect application for RAM disks - I have also found them very helpful in integration tests which require disk files.

Great tool BTW!

Cheers, George.
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:35:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi George,

Thanks for the feedback!

As you've correctly pointed out, there isn't any validation performed right now on the workspace base path. I'll make a note to add something in.

I've tried to encourage people to use RAM disks in the NCrunch documentation, partly because I sometimes use one myself and find it of great benefit. Of course, RAM disk software can be quite complex in itself and I have no plans on developing my own or integrating one with NCrunch. Considering it is an optional extra and is quite infrastructure-specific, I would prefer to leave it to users to explore this area themselves and discover a solution that works well for them.

I'm glad your enjoying the tool!

Cheers,

Remco