Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Visual Studio 2010 hangs when adding a new item
Chris
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:36:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

After installing NCrunch 1.38b/1.39b my Visual Studio hangs when I want to add a new item to a project. The devenv.exe process uses up one whole CPU core and I have to kill it using the task manager.
After uninstalling NCrunch it works as expected. If NCrunch is enabled or not doesn't make a difference.
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:25:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Chris,

Can you tell me a bit more about your Visual Studio installation? Do you have any other plugins installed?

Something that may be useful is if you're able to attach a debugger onto the devenv process while it's locked. If you're then able to break into the process and share the stack trace for any threads that show meaningful information, this may yield some clue as to where the crash is happening.
Chris
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:30:00 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I experimented a little more and found out that I have to wait 5-10 minutes until the "add item" dialog pops up for the first time. If I add an item again it pops up almost instantly. This is strange but I can live with it.

I'm using Win 7 Pro x64 and VS2010 SP1 with ReSharper 6.1 and NuGet 1.7. All other plugins were disabled/uninstalled - but this makes no difference.
Remco
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:34:42 PM(UTC)

This is very strange. I'm curious about where this is hanging. Is there any chance you'd be able to hook the Visual Studio debugger on a hung instance of Visual Studio, break into it and example the running threads? I'd really like to get a stack trace from Visual Studio's main thread.
Remco
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:47:40 AM(UTC)

For anyone interested, Chris and I troubleshooted this offline from the forum and it was determined that NCrunch was causing performance problems during the resolution of certain referenced assemblies inside the Visual Studio process. 1.40b (just released) includes a fix that should resolve this problem.