Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Very long initalization time
Marqus
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:37:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
After few days of using 1.39b, nCrunch started to take very long time on "NCrunch engine is initialising". Previously it took several seconds, now it takes several minutes. I've looked into Task manager, and it shows, that devenv.exe fully loads one core, several nCrunch.TaskRunner40.x86.exe are idle (I'm working on a 6 core machine). When nCrunch ended it's initialization, devenv.exe dropped to 0, and taskRunners started to work.
More info:
- When nCrunch is initialising, Queue and Configuration windows are empty.
- I've tried to reinstall nCrunch with devenv.exe /setup (as in: http://forum.ncrunch.net...-in-1-39b.aspx#post1892) but without luck.
- On other machines, nCrunch with same solution works fine.
- I'm not 100% sure, but it may be connected with updating "Productivity Power Tools" to newest version, but after uninstalling PPT nCrunch still doesn't work as before.
- It looks like it's worse, when I'm opening solution by double clicking on .sln, than opening VS and then opening solution.

There's part of the log, where nCrunch was waiting (this time, it was only about a minute - I was opening Visual Studio, and then solution)

[15:27:53.548-BuildTask-26] Unable to find config file.
[15:27:53.548-BuildTask-26] Build was successful for f:\ncrunch\4184\2\Source\InstalSoft\Utils\..\..\..\bin\InstalSoft.Utils.dll
[15:27:53.548-BuildTask-26] Task processing complete for [BuildTask: [SnapshotComponent: InstalSoft.Utils, 4, 31189065], BeingProcessed], processing time: 00:00:00
[15:27:53.548-BuildTask-26] Publishing Event: [#=qU6CMv5fi3VqxV1Hah2HO4ub0$OGid0LFU89e$xAhlI0=:[BuildTask: [SnapshotComponent: InstalSoft.Utils, 4, 31189065], BeingProcessed]]
[15:27:53.548-BuildTask-26] Event [#=qU6CMv5fi3VqxV1Hah2HO4ub0$OGid0LFU89e$xAhlI0=:[BuildTask: [SnapshotComponent: InstalSoft.Utils, 4, 31189065], BeingProcessed]] is being published on thread CoreThread to subscriber: ProcessingQueue.#=qfACt$cJfCa1u3ESIRefJASDJe3c3a9TBCZQga5VQE08=
[15:28:52.1484-Core-14] Publishing Event: [TestDataUpdatedEvent]
[15:28:52.1484-Core-14] Event [TestDataUpdatedEvent] is being published on thread CoreThread to subscriber: StatusIconSynchroniser.#=q0ItZAR5uLMMyOc0Dhv8irw==
[15:28:52.1484-Core-14] Event [TestDataUpdatedEvent] is being published on thread CoreThread to subscriber: CodeCoverageMerger.testDataUpdated
[15:28:52.1484-Core-14] Event [TestDataUpdatedEvent] is being published on thread CoreThread to subscriber: CoverageWatcher.testDataUpdated

PS. it looks, like 'Log to output window' and 'Logging verbosity' settings aren't saved, so I can't send you log from scenario, when I'm opening solution by double click.
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:34:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Marqus,

Based on what you've described, my first thought is that you may have an excessive amount of data held in the NCrunch .cache file adjacent to your solution (.sln) file. NCrunch will store trace output from tests in this file, so if you've had a test that went crazy and produced an abnormal amount of trace information, then NCrunch will be shuffling this around and running slowly. Try deleting this file to see if this solves your problem (NCrunch will rebuild it later). If this doesn't solve it, please submit a bug report shortly after you've noticed the engine hanging - I'll see if I can pinpoint the bottleneck.

The log to output window and log verbosity are deliberately not saved in the settings file, as when these are not set to the defaults they can cause NCrunch to run VERY slowly.

Cheers,

Remco
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
Marqus on 5/24/2012(UTC)
Marqus
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:33:15 AM(UTC)

Clearing .cache file solved the problem - thanks.
1 user thanked Marqus for this useful post.
Remco on 5/24/2012(UTC)
Marqus
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:51:21 AM(UTC)

I'm still experiencing hangs during using nCrunch (not only during initialization). Devenv.exe goes up, and nCrunch is working very slowly (sometimes on build task, sometimes on running tests). When devenv fully loads one core, Configuration and Queue windows are empty. We doesn't have tests that use extensivly Trace output (.cache file in one solution gets to about 1.5MB, in other 4MB). It's kind of depressing, because now it's faster for me to run tests manually using TestDriven.Net plugin. I can PM you cache file if this can help.

I've submitted bug report, and linked it here. I've checked - there wasn't any .cache file this time.

Edit: .cache file appeared when I exited VisualStudio.
Remco
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:11:00 PM(UTC)

Hi Marqus,

Checking through the log file, it looks like this could be a performance problem that is causing the engine to seize up.

Can you tell me a bit more about the solution/situation you're working in? Particularly I'm interested in:

- A rough number of files/documents you have open in the IDE at one time
- Rough number of lines of code for your solution (the metric shown in the Metrics view would be fine)
- Approx number of projects
- Approx number of tests
- Do you have any areas of your codebase with very high test coverage saturation? (i.e. more than 1000 tests covering individual lines of code)
Marqus
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:39:01 AM(UTC)

Hi Remco

"- A rough number of files/documents you have open in the IDE at one time"
10-15 (I'm using "Vertical Tab Well" from Productivity Power Tools, so it's managable)

"- Rough number of lines of code for your solution (the metric shown in the Metrics view would be fine)"
Compiled lines: 37k, Code Lines: 89k. We generate a lot of code, so there is single file with 11k lines. In other solution, I have file with 55k lines...

"- Approx number of projects"

"- Approx number of tests"

"- Do you have any areas of your codebase with very high test coverage saturation? (i.e. more than 1000 tests covering individual lines of code)"
As you can see, we don't have so many tests (as for now). But we test code that uses our generated data layer, so there can be lines that are covered with many tests. Is there some easy way to find them?

Remco
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:41:25 AM(UTC)

Thanks for sharing this. None of this looks particularly unusual except for the large generated files. Do you notice much of a difference in the pausing/lockups if one of the large generated files is open? I have a feeling that keeping the 11k line document open while NCrunch is running may be the source of the problem.
Marqus
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:24:57 PM(UTC)

I will try to observe this issue
1 user thanked Marqus for this useful post.
Remco on 5/31/2012(UTC)