Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

... could not be converted to a type library
wernight
#1 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 8:53:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

First I had an issue with a file not found from a resource. The wiki helped and the solution given worked.

Then I had an issue with a project that gave another file not found when loading an internal assembly (another project of the same solution both in C#). I don't know why it failed and the only solution I found was turning "Copy referenced assemblies to workspace" on. Sadly creating the registry key to enable logging didn't enable anything. I tried a bunch of additional registry keys without success.

Lastly, I have an issue with a C++ project that gives a "could not be converted to a type library" error. I had to ignore it for the time being.

Just wondering about the threads, is the system using all CPUs to build when manually requesting a build (Ctrl + Shift + B, or F5), or is it still limiting to those assigned to Visual Studio?
wernight
#2 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 9:37:52 AM(UTC)

Strangely after re-enabling that project today I got a completely different error:

NCrunch: If you are experiencing problems in getting this project to build, have a look at https://www.ncrunch.net/...ng_project-build-issues
c:\...\stdafx.h (55)#1: Cannot open type library file: 'MSO.TLB': No such file or directory

I'll take a look to fix it. Seems more manageable than the previous error displayed.
Remco
#3 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 10:04:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

Often the 'Copy Referenced Assemblies to workspace' setting needs a reset of the engine before it properly takes effect, so it's possible that this configuration setting has solved the problem you described.

The C++ error you're receiving looks like it's probably due to an 'implicit' reference to a TLB, likely on a relative path. Check through your .proj file for any relative references to MSO.TLB and make sure you've included them in your 'Additional files to include'. Something that often helps with this is right-clicking on the project that has failed to build, then choosing Advanced->Browse to workspace, and having a look through the workspace that NCrunch has constructed. It's even possible to run a command line MSBuild against the .proj file that NCrunch has generated in the workspace, which can help with analysing issues. Easily 90% of all first time problems with NCrunch can be solved through the 'Copy referenced assemblies to workspace' option and the 'Additional files to include', the tricky thing is often identifying the files that need to be included.

To answer your question about the CPUs used for building, NCrunch can't stop Visual Studio from using all CPUs in a Ctrl+Shift+B, as most of the work done for this happens in an external process (msbuild.exe + csc.exe). Generally where you'll notice differences in performance around Visual Studio builds is when you're running tests that make heavy use of the file system - as file system IO is often a bottleneck and is heavily loaded by MSBuild.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Remco
wernight
#4 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 12:58:33 PM(UTC)

That's great. Thank you for your answers.