Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Simple developer API
arlobelshee
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2012 3:54:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'd like to be able to register to hear about events from NCrunch. I particular, I want to write a VS plugin that can find NCrunch if it is enabled, and then ask it for notification of:

• BeginBuild (as soon as you notice a change and are about to start processing; I want to be able to snapshot the source that you are using.)
  • RunComplete (and I want to know whether it finished red or green.)
  • RunAborted (could be a call to RunComplete; tells me when the user changed some code mid-run and NCrunch decided to abort this run and start another.)

Personally, I don't need to hear about coverage results. I just need to know every time that the tests pass, and exactly what code was being used for that run.

I'm thinking to write a git integration that autocommits to a special branch on every green.
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 1:13:19 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

Right now there are long term plans in place for extension points into NCrunch's architecture, although with the product having not yet cleared its beta state, my preference is first on making sure the tool is working in a mature state and that the API surfaced will be one that is stable and can be easily supported. Right now there are still too many things inside NCrunch that are in a constant state of flux, and maintaining+supporting a developer API adds a new dimension of complexity when introducing new optimisations and features.

Most of the requests for extension points have been for the same reason as yours - i.e. committing to source control on a successful build. I wonder if there may be a feature opportunity here ...

Cheers,

Remco
georgemc
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:38:35 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Has anyone else done a pile of work after the euphoria of an all green NCrunch panel and then thought - shit, that was wrong, and then, oh shit, my last commit was before it went all green?

Ctrl-Z in VS is not really the solution at this point.

I found the original posting here because I was looking to see if I could add something to NCrunch; I am under no illusion that the resolution to this problem is not as simple as some sort of detectable event from NCrunch, but hey, that would be a start.

Cheers,

gmc (happy NCrunch license owner)
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2012 6:27:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi George -

Thanks for supporting NCrunch! Your suggestion fits nicely in alignment with the long term plan for NCrunch. You're absolutely right in that this will be a really hard one to solve properly, but as the infrastructure progresses I feel that there will be opportunities to add something like this. Stay tuned :)

Cheers,

Remco