Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cancelling Configuration Wizard
Mark
#1 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 7:09:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
This is somewhat a non issue but just something I wanted to bring to your attention in case it was unintentional. When you first enable NCrunch it pops up the configuration wizard. If you finish the wizard, everything works as expected, but if you cancel the wizard it seems counter intuitive that it begins testing without finishing the configuration. Furthermore, disabling and enabling NCrunch does not pop up the config wizard again even though it was not previously completed for the project.

Suggestion: If you cancel the wizard, treat the enabling as NCrunch and the completion of the wizard as one action. IE. Cancelling the wizard would leave NCrunch disabled.

Suggestion: Have the configuration wizard pop up every time you enable the testing if it has not been previously completed.

The reason why I feel this is counter intuitive is because if I did not finish the wizard, what settings did you use to test with?

The alternative I could see is to run the configuration once and have that apply defaults, and then allow the wizard to only be used upon request from the window. Then you could always apply the one time wizard config to all projects. Automatically popping up the wizard for first run on each project associates that wizard with the enabling of NCrunch for me which is misleading to me.

Thanks for all the hard work.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 11:50:13 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 1171 post(s)
Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting! It's always great to hear feedback on the usability around this wizard, as with it being the first thing that a user is ever presented with when they use NCrunch, it's very important that it's intuitive and useful.

Unfortunately it does seem to be impossible to provide a perfect answer with the wizard, as everyones use case is different. Some users have complained about the wizard being too long and scary, and having the option to cancel out of it early is important in order for them to have a good experience with the tool. The wizard then popping up every time NCrunch is enabled would likely be source of serious frustration for these people.

The general assumption NCrunch makes with the wizard is that if you were to cancel it, you would essentially be giving it the message that you aren't interested in any special features, or that you want to configure the tool manually. In either case, NCrunch will apply the most conservative settings possible in order to start running your tests immediately. These settings are basically the same as all the defaults that exist in the wizard, with the exception of not ignoring all the tests in the solution (which is normally specified by the last page of the wizard). If people cancel the wizard by error or accident, they can simply choose to re-run it from the NCrunch menu.

Something else many people are not aware of is that the wizard does actually have several different workflows to deal with different situations. For example, the first time you use NCrunch, you'll be asked every question. The next time you use NCrunch on a new solution, you'll only be asked questions that are specific to the new solution you're working with (as many of the other questions you answered would carry over). The goal is to make sure the wizard will only ask you the minimum number of questions needed to configure the tool to run in the present situation, and to make you aware of any configuration options that you really shouldn't be forgetting.

I hope this provides a bit of extra insight. Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers,

Remco
Mark
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:59:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Yeah, the points you bring up make sense it just doesn't fit my exact ideal use case. As you mentioned there are a lot of different factors and you've obviously taken them into account. At the end of it all, not everyone can be happy and you've proven to me it's intentional so that's good enough for me. It took me all of 2 seconds to react the way you said by going back up to the menu and restart the wizard, it just struck me as odd that the plugin started without me informing it what settings to use.

Thanks,
Mark Smith
1 user thanked Mark for this useful post.
Remco on 8/18/2012(UTC)