Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

changing NCrunch settings does not automatically check out .ncrunchporject files
bitbonk
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:47:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

We use NCrunch for some intergation testing that reqiure specific NCrunch settings in order to run the test sucessfull (e.g. single threaded because of access to a DB). That's why all team members need to have these settings and hence we check in the .ncrunchporject and .ncrunchsolution files into source control.

Unfortunately whenever we want to change a setting we must not forget to find the correct file that contains this setting (which is not really obvious sometimes) and check it out before we make the changes or else the changes will not be available to the team (or even to myself the next time I open visual studio).

NCrunch should checkout the correct file automatically by bringing up the visual studio checkout window.

Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:57:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 1171 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

Which source control system are you using? Does it have options around optimistic locking for certain files?

At the moment NCrunch doesn't have any integration with source control systems. Besides not trying to pick favourites, the reason for this is mostly to try and keep the cost of the product down (source control integration is VERY expensive). I hope that we can find another way to make your workflow work in this situation without needing to introduce a new integration point.

Cheers,

Remco
bitbonk
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:26:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am using TFS 2010.

Isn't there a generic, sourcecontrolprovider-agnostic way to do that in the visual studio source control APIs? When I edit the ncrunchproject file in the visual studio XML editor, the file gets checked out correctly (I added the file as an item to the project), I get the TFS checkout window.

Just tell visual studio that you want to edit that project item and it will do whatever is necessary to make it editable. I suppose that the way ReSharper does it too.

But then again, maybe it doesn't work that way at all.
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 5:27:17 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 1171 post(s)
Sadly it's never quite as simple as that. Assuming it could be made to work, there is also the reality of maintaining and testing the integration point with all source control systems that are integrated with Visual Studio. With the rate of change in this area, such investment would take time away from adding critical features to make NCrunch work better for a much wider range of users.

Something that may work for you would be to edit the NCrunch project configuration files directly as XML resources that are included in your projects. This way VS would automatically check the file out if you were to change it. The XML format isn't complex and NCrunch should automatically pick up any changes after you save them to disk and reset the engine. NCrunch will only save data to the project configuration files directly after you make changes in the configuration pane, so provided you commit to writing the configuration yourself, you shouldn't have problems with your changes being overwritten.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Remco