Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

1.41b: 'Additional files to include' not working?
andrewb
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:49:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just downloaded NCrunch & am trying to get it up & running....but I can't edit the 'Additional files to include' setting in the NCrunch configuration (NCrunch->Configuration, select a project). Typing directly into the edit control does nothing (caret doesn't move, no characters shown). Pressing the ellipses button (...) brings up a an error message:
Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: source.

Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:56:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

There have been reports of this problem. It seems to be caused by a configuration sequencing issue that can be present if you try to edit the property before NCrunch has properly created the configuration.

To work around it, try disabling and re-enabling NCrunch until you see some text appear inside the 'Additional files to include' box. I'll introduce a fix for this issue with the next version of NCrunch.

Cheers,

Remco
andrewb
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:41:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I went through the Disable/Enable cycle at least 5 times - it didn't seem to create any more configurations.

But guessing that 'configuration'=='.ncrunchproject' file, I duplicated an existing .ncrunchproject file once for each project that didn't have a .ncrunchproject file (and renamed the duplicated .ncrunchproject file to match the project file name). This fixed the issue.

Remco
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:26:43 AM(UTC)

Thinking about what could cause this, another simpler way could be to simply change one of the boolean project configuration values to something else, then back again. This will cause NCrunch to create the .ncrunchproject file for the project you're updating and will have the same effect as copying the file around. Sorry for the trouble, I'll ensure this gets fixed.

Cheers,

Remco
richardmoss
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:29:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,

Just to add my own comments to this thread, I was having a similar issue, including not being able to resolve it by simply changing other NCrunch properties. However, in my case the problem was resolved by disabling all .NET Demon options then reloading the solution. Not sure if that was a complete fluke or not however, but .NET Demon has caused conflicts with other third party extensions in the past.

Regards;
Richard Moss

1 user thanked richardmoss for this useful post.
Remco on 9/1/2012(UTC)
antix
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:22:21 PM(UTC)

This happens for me when there is no ncrunchproject file or no AdditionalFilesToInclude element in it

it not being there due to it being excluded from source control

To get one I click Ignore This Component Completely in the config ui this creates a new file
Then I edit it to put <AdditionalFilesToInclude></AdditionalFilesToInclude> in before the last tag

at this point the editor works

Walker
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:03:16 PM(UTC)

I was able to edit 'Additonal files to include' at the solution level after deleting all the files located in the NCrunch folder in the AppData.
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\NCrunch\
Remco
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:04:38 PM(UTC)

I've introduced a fix for this problem in the upcoming 1.42b release. The behaviour is such that the AdditionalFilesToInclude setting will only work if the NCrunch project-level config file exists (otherwise you'll get an error). Known workarounds are:

- Create the file yourself (perhaps by copying config from another NCrunch project and renaming the file)
- Changing a different configuration option first (so that the file is automatically created)
- Adding the AdditionalFilesToInclude setting using a text editor to a new file that you create yourself

My assumption is that the behaviour is the same for the solution-level configuration option (i.e. relies on the config file being present), though I'll test this with the fix to ensure it also works correctly in the new version.

Sorry for the trouble.

Cheers,

Remco