Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Pin Exceptions window, show markers for TestCase
yanglee
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:14:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi,

Would be great if the Exceptions window could be pinned, this would help quickly fix broken tests. Also markers for TestCase would be cool.

See the image below:

Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:40:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1275 time(s) in 1183 post(s)
Hi Yang -

Thanks for the suggestions!

Can you share a bit more detail around why you feel pinning the stack trace window would help you? The original intention of this popup was to basically be a transient way to navigate up and down the stack. Are you using it to examine the exception trace while you work?

I can understand the value and reasoning behind having coverage markers next to the individual test cases, but unfortunately the abstractions NCrunch currently relies on make this technically impossible. I don't think we'll be seeing a way to implement this any time soon.

Cheers,

Remco
yanglee
#3 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:01:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Remco;3051 wrote:
Hi Yang -

Thanks for the suggestions!

Can you share a bit more detail around why you feel pinning the stack trace window would help you? The original intention of this popup was to basically be a transient way to navigate up and down the stack. Are you using it to examine the exception trace while you work?

Yes. This would be very useful when I need to navigate the exception trace to fix tests, especially when fixing integration/acceptance tests, I usually need to repeatedly navigate back and forth the exception trace to fix multiple errors.

Currently when I need to navigate to another point of the exception trace, I have to first go back to the broken test, quite inefficient. So I workaround this by starting a test in debug mode (very slow), so that I can use the Call Stack window. But because currently NCrunch doesn't support edit Edit & Continue, so I have to use Resharper's debug feature, this makes it even slower because each time I invoke the debug mode, Resharper has to recompile the project.

Quote:
I can understand the value and reasoning behind having coverage markers next to the individual test cases, but unfortunately the abstractions NCrunch currently relies on make this technically impossible. I don't think we'll be seeing a way to implement this any time soon.

Understood.

Cheers
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 6:14:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1275 time(s) in 1183 post(s)
Thanks Yang - I'll have a bit of a think about ways this can be implemented, and will see what I can come up with.

Cheers,

Remco
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
yanglee on 10/29/2012(UTC)