Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disabled tests should not use black icon
oriches
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:03:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

We had a disabled test class and because the nCrunch test window was not showing the disabled tests, when looking in the test file it showed the black nCrunch icons.

It took a long time to work out why the tests were not running - because the test class had been ignored\disabled in nCrunch.

I suggest changing the colour of the icon for disabled tests from black to another colour (grey maybe)

ta

Ollie
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:44:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi Ollie -

Thanks for posting!

Ignored tests under NCrunch are completely ignored in every way. They are not executed at any stage by NCrunch, and any data associated with them is thrown away as soon as they are ignored. To have an ignored test storing coverage state (i.e. as different coloured markers) wouldn't make sense, as the test would need to be executed in order for this coverage data to be maintained.

Ignored tests are intended for permanent suppression of a set of tests by NCrunch on the basis of incompatibility. If you're looking to find a way to suppress execution of tests without losing code coverage data, you might want to instead look towards setting up a custom engine mode that excludes a specific test category from automatic execution, then marking the suppressed tests with this category. In this way, you'll have a test that can have code coverage data retained for it and still be executed manually.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Remco
oriches
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:26:41 PM(UTC)

I need to explain the situation better...

The issues is we forgot the tests had been disabled in nCrunch and i was scratching my head trying to work out why these test weren't running in nCrunch.

After several restarts of VS and deleting user generated files from the solution directory to try and get nCrunch to work I realized it was because the test (file) had be set to ignored in the nCrunch UI.

Now if there was a 'this test has been disabled' icon I would have realized straight away.

I realize this can be done in the nCrunch test window but I don't always look at the window when I'm deep inside a problem, I rely on the icons\indicators to tell me if everything is work as expected with the tests (file).

Does that make sense?

ta

Ollie Riches
Remco
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:36:02 AM(UTC)

Thanks Ollie - this does make sense, and actually it is a common problem, as it is easy to ignore tests by accident and not realise why NCrunch isn't executing them.

What would you think about perhaps a change in the symbol describing the first line of the test? A different colour is probably overkill (as it would need to be configurable), but perhaps an exclamation mark or something to indicate on the first line of the test that it has been ignored ...
oriches
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:17:46 AM(UTC)

yes something either at the test and\or class level - if i'd disabled all the tests then something at the class level makes sense as well....

ta

Ollie Riches
Remco
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:37:07 AM(UTC)

Thanks Ollie, I'll see what I can do.
Remco
#7 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 5:32:38 AM(UTC)

For anyone interested, 1.43 has just been released with a new feature that makes it possible to see ignored tests inline with a different icon shape. I hope that this should resolve the above usability problem.

Cheers,

Remco
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
oriches on 12/10/2012(UTC)