Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch 1.42.0.12 problem with VS 2012
PaulM
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:39:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have downloaded and installed NCrunch (NCrunch_VS2012_1.42.0.12.msi) and the installer has run without errors and everything seems to have been installed e.g. folder created under the Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions folder, NCrunch appears in the Tools->Extensions and Updates list but there is no NCrunch menu visible in Visual Studio.

I saw the similar (but 2010 related) post @ http://forum.ncrunch.net...no-menu-in-VS-2010.aspx and followed those steps (changing folders etc as appropriate) and tried a reinstall but no difference.

I also tried running devenv.exe /setup /nosetupvstemplate and still no NCrunch menu to be seen,

I have installed the recently released VS 2012 update so not sure if that could be the cause.

Paul
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:34:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting! At the moment there aren't any known issues of this sort (even with the new VS2012 update), so I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind me asking a few questions to better understand what is happening on your system. I presume you've done this already, but also make sure you run through all the steps in the installation troubleshooting guide to ensure your VS2012 plugin cache is completely cleared.

- Are you running any other 3rd party VS plugins/packages? Do they load correctly?
- Has NCrunch ever worked for you on this computer? If so, which versions of VS did it work for?
- Have you ever had NCrunch throw an installation/initialisation error that you've chosen suppress when Visual Studio tells you about it?

Also try running Visual Studio 2012 with the following command line (using Start->Run if you like):
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /log c:\vslog.log

... This will log a whole lot of initialisation output to c:\vslog.log. If you inspect this log after starting and closing down Visual Studio, do you see any NCrunch related errors?

Cheers,

Remco
PaulM
#3 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 12:32:23 AM(UTC)

Been through the troubleshooting guide, removed NCrunch, deleted the now empty folder under Common7\IDE\Extensions, ran devenv.exe /setup and let it complete. Launching VS works as normal NCrunch doesn't show under Tools and extensions.

Re-run the installer and everything seems to complete as normal, launching VS works as normal but no NCrunch menu, NCrunch does however now show under Tools and Extensions. The only other extensions are NuGet, Resharper and an evaluation of MonoDroid which all seem to load and work just fine.

If I generate the logfile the only entry that relates to NCrunch (as far as I can tell) is
<entry>
<record>247</record>
<time>2012/11/29 23:47:11.196</time>
<type>Information</type>
<source>Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ExtensibilityHosting.VsShellComponentModelHost</source>
<description>Successfully loaded component assembly from cache</description>
<path>C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 11.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\REMCO SOFTWARE\NCRUNCH FOR VISUAL STUDIO 2012\nCrunch.VSIntegration2010.dll</path>
</entry>
which seems to indicate success.

As far as I am aware I haven't suppressed any initialisation errors when launching VS 2012 and nothing is being logged that would indicate load errors.

I tried installing the 2010 version and that worked just fine, launching VS 2010 the NCrunch menu was present and things worked as expected.

Paul
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 12:34:31 AM(UTC)

Thanks Paul. Can you also share which version of VS2012 you're using? It isn't the express edition is it?
PaulM
#5 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 1:50:44 AM(UTC)

Hi,

Nope - it is the Premium Edition. Version 11.0.51106.01 Update 1 to be precise. Not sure if it makes any difference but I am also running under a 64bit version of Windows 8 (Windows 8 Professional Version 6.2 build 9200).

I am running under an account with Admin rights but UAC enabled (no idea how to fully disable it under Windows 8) I have tried running the installer both as the normal user and from an elevated command prompt, I have also tried running VS from both a normal and an elevated prompt as well.
Remco
#6 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 2:38:07 AM(UTC)

Would you be able to send me the full log file from the VS /log option? This will help with deducting how far NCrunch is getting into the initialisation process. You can post it through using the contact form.

Something that would be useful is to establish a snapshot of the loaded modules with the IDE running. The best way to do this is to load up two instances of VS2012, then attach the debugger of one instance to the other process. You can then use the debugger to view the list of modules loaded into Visual Studio. It would be great if you could copy/paste this information here.

There are several test environments for NCrunch with similar configuration to your system, so I suspect this is caused by something unique to your machine. Is there anything that could be considered unusual about your installation of VS2012? Have you ever experienced strange behaviour in the IDE, or made use of any plugins that could be considered unstable? Without steps to recreate the problem, this may be a very tough one to figure out.
PaulM
#7 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 1:53:22 PM(UTC)

Things are looking odd at this end.

I submitted the logfile as requested and went to do a dump of the loaded modules and nothing was being loaded from the Remco extension folder. Out of curiosity I ran sysinternal's procmon.exe and did a devenv.exe /setup and that didn't seem to scan the Remco folder either.

I uninstalled NCrunch and then deleted the .msi and re-downloaded it just in case it was a corrupt MSI, monitoring the install this time I did see devenv.exe accessing the Remco folder. Doing a devenv.exe /log produced more output this time so I have sent a copy of that as well.

Launching VS 2012 however still didn't provide an NCrunch menu but it is still listed under tools -> extenstions

The list of loaded modules is pretty large so I have sent that via the contact form as well.
PaulM
#8 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 9:04:34 PM(UTC)

Just as an update I have tried installing it on my desktop PC, same version of windows, same visual studio, same update applied and it worked just fine. I guess it is down to some configuration or problem with the laptop install.

I will check to see if there are any major differences and will let you know if I stumble on something that solves the problem.

EDIT: If I run VS under the experimental hive (devenv.exe /rootsuffix exp) ncrunch loads perfectly fine. Definately a configuration problem on my machine then.

Further EDIT: I just trashed the ...\VisualStudio\11.0 and ...\VisualStudio\11.0_Config registry keys, restarted VS and everything seems to be working. I honestly wouldn't waste anymore time looking at this problem if I was you.

Cheers for the help though, good to get such prompt response when asking for support.
Remco
#9 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 10:56:46 PM(UTC)

Hi Paul -

I'm quite relieved to hear that you managed to fix this issue - I was starting to run out of easy things we could check :)

All versions of Visual Studio have different caching habits around plugins. It looks as though you've managed to uncover one that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for posting the details of how you fixed the problem in this thread, as I'm sure that others will also find it useful!

Cheers,

Remco
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
PaulM on 12/1/2012(UTC)
Thellanorn
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:31:47 PM(UTC)

Hello,

Today I installed VS2012 Professional (Version 11.0.51106.01 Update 1).
I then proceeded to install NCrunch 1.44.0.11 for VS2012
However, when I start VS2012 the menu doesn't show up.
I tried the above tip and removed the VS\11.0 and VS\11.0_Config registry keys but that didn't help.

Other things I've tried:
1. Installing the 1.43 version instead.
2. Uninstalled 1.43 for VS2010
a. Installed 1.44 for 2012
b. Installed 1.43 for 2012
3. Multiple machine restarts with fingers-crossed.

Any help would be appreciated,

Brian V
Remco
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:35:19 PM(UTC)

Hi Brain,

Thanks for posting! Most likely VS is throwing an error of some kind while trying to load the plugin. We can likely find out what this error is by executing the devenv.exe file using the /log parameter, for example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /log c:\vslog.log

.. You can then example the log file to look for errors related to the addin loading. If you post the error here, I can help further.

Most installation and setup problems are related to internal caches inside Visual Studio which have proven to be unreliable and usually the trick is to perform a number of restart/uninstall tasks in a certain sequence to ensure the state is cleared. Recognising that you've already done much of this, the removal+reinstall fix can be useful when all steps are performed in correct sequence (especially the devenv.exe /setup as this forces VS to refresh its cache).
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
Thellanorn on 2/27/2013(UTC)
Thellanorn
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:40:27 PM(UTC)

Hello Remco,

I didn't see any errors in the vslog.log
It did look like it installed it as an extension. The folder exists.
However, is it suppose to use the nCrunch.VSIntegration2010.dll Does that look correct?
I sent the log file via contact form.

Thanks again,

Brian V.
Remco
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:52:31 PM(UTC)

Thanks Brain,

The log suggests everything is OK... which is a bit unhelpful.

What happens if you try loading up VS like this? : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /rootsuffix exp

Also, when you've loaded up the IDE and the NCrunch menu doesn't show, do you have an 'NCrunch Diagnostic Output' available in the dropdown at the top of your Visual Studio Output Window?
Thellanorn
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:24:18 PM(UTC)

I found a solution that made it work. I'm not sure why but it worked. The trick was to make sure that the "Migrate" is not checked on the "Choose Default Environment Settings"

Solution:
1. Delete ...\VisualStudio\11.0 and ...\VisualStudio\11.0_Config registry keys
1a. I only did this so that the screen would pose the question again.
2. Start VS2012 and "Choose Default Environment Settings" screen will show up.
3. Click the "Migrate" checkbox so that it's not checked (uncheck).

That was what did it for me. Hopefully, this will help out others as well.

Remco, thanks for your quick response to this issue and keep up the good work. This tool is just Amazing!

Thanks again,

Brian V.
Remco
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:49:16 PM(UTC)

Nice work Brian! I'm not sure how this works, but as always with VS, there must be a reason hidden in there somewhere. I'm sure others will also find this information useful. Thanks for taking the time to share the solution :)

Cheers,

Remco