Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Licensing Question: Personal and Professional Gray Area
Nex Terren
#1 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 4:39:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Okay, so here's my situation.

I'm considering buying NCrunch for my father for Christmas. He'll be using the license for fun, for an upcoming university class, and, as it happens, for a startup company that him and I are most likely going to go forward with (We'd be the only employees for a long while out).

So my question is this:

If I want the license owned by him, not the company (thus not transferable), can I buy a personal license for him to own and keep, and then can he use this for-profit coding later on?

Alternatively, if I buy a company license for him, can he continue to use the license if the company no longer exists?

If I do buy it for him, I will likely make the purchase for myself, so the question would extend to me as well.

Thanks!
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:52:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting and for your interest in NCrunch licensing!

For this situation, you would most definitely want to purchase a named user license for your father. Named user licenses can be used for both professional and personal work, with the key limiting factor being that they can only be used by one person. There is no reason why your father cannot use this license in the company you co-operate with him. Likewise I would also recommend a named license for yourself.

The company seat licenses are tied to the life of the company (as they are issued in the company name), so I feel that this wouldn't be appropriate for your situation.

Note though that the named licenses are personal purchases (i.e. they can't be bought by the company itself).

I hope this answers your question, but do feel free to ask if you need more clarification.

Cheers,

Remco