Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Hide projects without tests option in the Tests tab
Mangust
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 11:57:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It would be a good feature to allow hiding of the projects without tests in the tests tab. For instance I have too many tests running and I would like to ignore some that I don't need.
Then I go to the test tab and make a filter to see only successful tests. I have about 70 projects and let's say 3 of them are currently included. Then I have to scan and search for a tree node expander to understand which of them are real tests and which are not. So it would be good to have an option to show only projects that have tests inside - then I would only see 3 and easily turn off tests for 2 that I don't need for instance.
1 user thanked Mangust for this useful post.
Atreyu on 8/23/2013(UTC)
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 10:26:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi,

I'm trying to think of a way that we can solve this problem for you without needing to introduce an additional filter to the tests window (which is already quite overloaded).

Do you perhaps have a particular convention for how you label test projects? For example, most projects usually use the following form:

MyProject.Code
MyProject.Code.Tests

If this is the case, you may be able to use the wildcard search options in the tests window to narrow down your list of projects. Simply enter '*.Tests' and all non-test projects will be removed from the view.

Cheers,

Remco
Mangust
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 8:38:49 AM(UTC)

It is a bit overloaded, I agree. Though it's a little bit confusing that if I have only one filter on (Show passing tests) it shows really all the projects that don't even have any tests. May they should be moved to ignored or unexecuted tests? I have thought of one more way as well. I see you use devexpress for the UI and perhaps it's easy to add a column that will have the number of tests in the project? (I actually wanted to see it for other reasons). There are a lot of columns hidden by default but there was no with the number of tests. If it would be there then it's easy to filter by the number of tests. Show all that are > than 0. Though the concept that a successful or failing tests include projects that don't even have tests is a little bit limited so may be it's worth including one more filter button to show or hide projects that do not have tests.
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 9:59:24 AM(UTC)

One of the main issues with the Tests Window is that it does a bit much. It isn't just a window for examining test results - it also holds the build results for projects in your solution. For this reason, it can be hard to come up with a simple design that allows you to focus purely on the tests without also making it harder to view build failures.

I like your suggestion of introducing an extra column to hold the number of tests applicable to a project. This could have uses well beyond your immediate situation, and it should also be simple to implement. I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Remco
Mangust
#5 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:54:21 AM(UTC)

May be it's also worth to create two separate tabs - one for the tests and one for the build or a switch in the tests tab or something like that. So generally if the build is successful there will be no need to see the projects that don't have tests. And if the build fails then there is no need to see the tests as they are not executed anyway :)
Remco
#6 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 8:52:58 PM(UTC)

That is an option, although we do also need to show projects in the Tests Window in order to organise the tests ...
Mangust
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:58:03 AM(UTC)

I don't know if you use Resharper or not, but I find UI very convenient with the tests window there(for instance they have the solution folders in the hierarchy and the number of tests shown).
May be you can also introduce the hierarchy like in the solution to make things easier? This is just a suggestion though not a critical issue or anything :)
1 user thanked Mangust for this useful post.
Remco on 1/29/2013(UTC)