Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

"Clean" operations should remove ncrunch files (such as cache ...)
BKStrelioff
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:03:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Doine a "Clean" in VisualStudio does not seem to remove the NCrunch data files. I think it should.

Even through this might trigger a NCrunch rebuild (which should be deferrable via a config setting), I would prefer that cleanup be done.
Remco
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2013 10:06:12 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

It's the intention of NCrunch to avoid manipulating the VS/MSBuild build process for the foreground solution, as this is very difficult to do reliably. Clearing out NCrunch data files using a 'Clean' step in the build would involve making changes to either your project files or your global build targets on the workstation. The risks of these sorts of changes (and the effort involved) would likely outweigh the benefits from such a change.

The contents of the NCrunch cache files can often be considered quite important, as this data can only be reproduced through a full end-to-end test run using NCrunch (which can take hours on some solutions). Is there a reason you want to routinely clear this data out?

Cheers,

Remco
BKStrelioff
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:15:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most of the solutions I work with lately have 50-150 projects, and I like to self-archive by taking a 7z (or even just copy) the main folder. It takes more time and space if all the binaries and nrcunch files are included. Maybe add a "Clean" menu item to NCrunch as an intermediate step, or have Disable go ahead and remove these files? Or maybe allow a setting for where these files should be stored so I can move the outside the solution folder?
Remco
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:15:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
I may be able to suggest something that can solve your immediate problem. 7z has a command line option (-x@) that allows you to specify an ignore file when creating a compression. The ignore file is in a fairly similar format to those used by many source control systems. You could add the NCrunch cache to this ignore file, and simply use a batch file or script of some kind to run your backup. This would help to keep the NCrunch data out of the compression, while allowing you to exclude other unwanted files at the same time.