Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch seems to get confused sometimes during frequent typing
BKStrelioff
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:17:43 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
About once a day, NCrunch seems to get stuck in "build failure" when I either copy&paste some code that introduces source errors, or do some kidns of edits (seem to be associated with introducing use of attributes or something requiring a new using or project dependency). It appears that NCrunch captures the state of the source files in-between when the editing starts (and the code is invalid) and when I have finished (and the code is clean). This only happens a small percentage of the times, but when it does even asking NCrunch to rebuld the failing projects does not work.

I end up disabling/enabling NCrunch to get things working again, but that can be time-consuming.

I cannot repro this on demeand, just something I have noticed. I am using the latest (44) build, but I think I encountered this with earlier builds also, but not frequent enough I sensed a pattern.

Anybody else seeing this?
Remco
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2013 10:09:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
This is a long standing synchronisation issue that so far hasn't been fixed, largely because it is very rare and has never been reproduced in a situation where it could be analysed. If you can find a way to reproduce this issue, I'd be very eager to learn how. Otherwise, if you have it happen to you, try submitting a bug report. The logs from the report can be useful in tracking the engine sequences leading up to the problem and may be useful in analysing it further.

Cheers,

Remco
nielsvk
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:47:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I get it often when doing Get Latest in Source Control. When a teammate changed a project file, that project has to be reloaded, NCrunch sometimes is not in sync and needs to be reset. Maybe because I have files from that project open at that moment?
Remco
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:30:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
This makes sense. Synchronisation problems are most likely to happen in response to a large number of changes to files (for example, a source control checkout, or a big refactoring operation). You might want to try the new version of NCrunch just released (1.45). I'm keen to hear if this version reduces or resolves the problem.

Cheers,

Remco