Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

1.45 crashes VS2012 and VS2010
BKStrelioff
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:47:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have installed the latest bits on 2 systems, both with VS2012 Ultimate and VS2010 Ultimate.

On System A, both VS programs crash/stopimmediateley during startup -- they do not get past the splash screen.

On System B, they get past the splash screen, but encounter an error and show the popup about "Search for a solution, ...". Interesting that in this case it appears that NCrunch still keepson working -- I can see in the NCrunch windows that builds are being done and tests running.

But as of now, I need to uninstaill and revert to 1.44 as the 1.45 release is unusable.
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 2:26:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this problem. As the 1.45 release is only just hatched and you're the only person to report this problem, I've still yet to establish whether this is something specific to your environment or more or a wider issue. I haven't been able to reproduce either of the issues on a variety of platforms, so I'm wondering if you'd be able to help share some more details about your situation.

Do you have any other plugins installed? Are the two machines you're using of similar specification? (i.e. number of CPUs, O/S)

The symptoms you've described are consistent with either:
1. A race condition during NCrunch initialisation
2. A visual studio bug surfaced by configuration changes resulting from NCrunch installation

Is there any chance you can show a screenshot of the error on System B? You can submit this via the Contact form if you find this easier.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to obtain a log of the Visual Studio initialisation on System A. Try running Visual Studio with the following parameter line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /vslog c:\vslog.log

.. This will create a log file 'c:\vslog.log' containing information about the startup of Visual Studio. If you're able to copy/paste the contents of this log here in the forum, or submit via the contact form, this would really help in trying to uncover the point of failure.

The next thing that would be really useful is if we can establish a snapshot of the running threads in Visual Studio on System A after it's locked up. As lockups are often caused by deadlocks, this can be useful in narrowing down the point of failure. The easiest way to do this is to hook up a Visual Studio debugger onto the crashed instance of Visual Studio, then break into the execution, open up the Debug Threads window and copy/paste the contents out. Since the bug prevents you from gaining access to Visual Studio, it may be easiest to do this using an instance of VS2012 without NCrunch installed in order to debug an instance of VS2010 with NCrunch installed.

Sorry for the trouble, I hope to have this worked out as soon as we can find the reason for failure.

Cheers,

Remco
BKStrelioff
#3 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 2:48:06 PM(UTC)

Some follow-up. While uninstalling NCrunch I noticed that the "Company" name was slightly different for the 2010 & 2012 bersions -- not sure this matters, just FYI.

After I uninstalled on A, 2012 & 2010 still failed to come up cleanlu. But after I did a reboot they did come up, albeit without any NCrunch installed (but I do still have NCrunch 1.44 installed for 2008 on system A).

Here is the EventLog info:

Faulting application name: nCrunch.TestHost.x86.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x515176e8
Faulting module name: nCrunch.TestHost.x86.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x515176e8
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0000160d
Faulting process id: 0x2600
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce2e6e1d235fd3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2012\nCrunch.TestHost.x86.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2012\nCrunch.TestHost.x86.exe
Report Id: 5faa7903-9a61-11e2-b4fa-402cf4e99602

Note that the VS crashes occurred even if I opened VS* without a solution selected. I do have many plugins, such as ReSharper, as well as many extensions, such as CodeContracts.

I am not sure equippage matters, but this system had 128GB memory, a 32GB temp ram-drive that NCrunch is configured to use, runs Windows 7x64, 4TB SSD, NVidia Titan with 4 monitors, 8-core intel processor.
BKStrelioff
#4 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 3:34:23 PM(UTC)

Ok for system A, I went back to old-school for the install. I rebooted everytime a change was made and things appear to be working for 2010/2012 with 1.45. I have not tried 2008 yet since I don't use that release very often.

I am not sure what may habe been going bad. I will try the same on system B later tonight.

PS: It would be nice if an email was sent out whenever a release (or EAP) was available.

Keep up the great work.
Remco
#5 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:13:35 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Thanks for sharing all the additional info!

The fault with the TestHost is interesting, although in theory this would be unrelated to your main VS issues, as this process is deliberately isolated from VS. I have a feeling that the issues you've encountered were caused by Visual Studio's reaction to the installation of NCrunch, which performs a /setup step resulting in some fairly extensive operations on VS caching and configuration. Reinstalling and rebooting is a common way to fix VS related issues. I wish I could say why, but much of VS is unfortunately still a black box to me. Anyway, I'm glad that the problems seem to have solved themselves. With the number of components involved, we may never know what actually caused them.

NCrunch does have a mechanism to notify people when an update is available, although I try to be very conservative in making use of this feature. Because NCrunch is such an integrated tool, there is always the possibility of a clean and well tested release going out and bugging out for people using different and unexpected configurations. Generally I only activate the notification system after the release has been 'in the wild' for a few days and there's been time to digest feedback from the people using it. This is to avoid a worst case scenario where the release goes out and blows up in the face of 70% of the user base :) If everyone had experienced the same issue you have (above) with 1.45, this would be a horrible nightmare!