Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Generics in stacktraces
shiranpuri
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:23:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Often times when looking at an exception that involves calls with generics I'd like to know what the actual runtime types were.
It shows most of the rest of the call and type information in the popup, but generics get the generic definition name instead of the generic type.

I realize that the normal .net stacktrace also shows Foo`1 or Foo`2 or whatever instead of the actual types used at runtime,
but the call stack window in visual studio does show the full actual types when debugging.

Is there a way for type parameter information to somehow also be shown in the stacktraces shown for exceptions in ncrunch?
Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:00:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
This is an interesting idea, though it may be very difficult to implement. The stack traces that NCrunch works with all originate from the exception itself (i.e. after the explosion), and the only information provided here is in string form. So I guess the big question is whether there is any way to derive the generic type from the abbreviated name. I'll do some more looking into this to see if there are ways this is possible.